SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nabq

Laminate Flooring and Home Resale Value

nabq
8 years ago

We might sell our house in the next five years or so. We live in Albuquerque, NM and have carpeting (which really needs to be changed) and ceramic tile throughout the house. Tile floors are pretty common in NM, but our tiles are kind of ugly and beat up. A realtor friend suggested putting in wood floors if we really want to improve the house's resale value.

Our house is about 2700 sf and its built on a rather uneven slab foundation (uneven because of various additions made before we bought it, but also because of settling). We were given an estimate of about $20K to do real, stained-on-site hardwood, and I don't think we could ever recoup that, so I wondered if anything cheaper would work.

The obvious option is to just get nicer tile, but I wondered what all of you think of wood-look laminate floors. We have a large dog, and have been told that laminate stands up well to dog traffic. Is this true? And could laminate floors hurt the resale value?

A retired contractor who did some handyman work for us said there are some new wood-look laminates that are very beautiful and that he could lay them right over the existing tile. Is this a good practice? I wonder how it will work in areas where the tile now transitions to carpet. Wouldn't there be a level change? I couldn't tell if he was giving us good information or just advising us to do something we could hire him to do.

And does anyone have any experience with the wood-look ceramic tile? That's another option we were considering, but I'm wondering how the grout lines work with the pattern of the tile.
Thank you very much.

Comments (11)