SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
royhobbs23

We painted the "wrong" color on our house. Help!

royhobbs23
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

TL;DR - Paint turned out bright, neighbors and developer want us to repaint. We can't afford to, but will do it if they pay.

We painted our house. It didn't turn out exactly as we hoped, it's quite bright. We were ok with it. Apparently our neighbors are not. The developer called me and said he's had several complaints about the color, specifically how the back and side are so solid without any break in the color. We are really the 1st/2nd home in the development, so it does kind of stick out. They are asking us kindly to change the paint color. I told them it's not in my budget. They are suggesting they could help pay for painting, and suggesting a light gray for the back and side of the house, while leaving the front blue.

I think this would look weird, and haven't seen a single home that has been painted that way. My wife and I would prefer to just paint the whole house a new lighter shade of gray/blue. We'd be just fine with that.

I'm attaching pictures of what we were shooting for, and what we actually did. (By the way, I know we did it wrong. We should have matched another house we saw, instead we just shot from the hip.)

We are in a CCR, with an architectural review committee. We do want to be good neighbors, not trying to piss off the neighborhood. I'm telling them that we don't have the budget to re-paint, but if the cost is covered we'd be glad selecting a different color and running it by the design committee first.

Love to hear any thoughts on what we should do now. We are thinking it will have to be a much lighter blue gray color, which we would be fine with.

Here's the rest: https://goo.gl/photos/BfgKvdenUAjdFy1D9

Here's what we were shooting for: https://goo.gl/photos/HhpJFE6XHXDWVZH76

Comments (65)

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

If it's going to cause angst among your neighbors, change the color. Why set yourself up to be the neighborhood pariah? You should have checked with the HOA to get the color approved prior to painting. That's how HOAs work.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

In some cultures, blue draws prosperity. So, I understand the significance of a blue house.

That said, I agree with K9. When you buy into a neighborhood such as yours, you need to follow the rules.

You don't want to continue to err, so I would speak to the powers that be and get actual paint color names before repainting. Someone there must know what is acceptable as they seem to know what isn't.

• Related Discussions

Color experts, please help--what color should we paint our house?

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you! So much great feedback. Sadly, the paint job is a necessity rather than just aesthetics -- paint on the back side is failing pretty badly & peeling off in layers. (After reading up on the paint forum, I think it was just too many layers of latex on top of old oil paint without adequate prep.) Maybe we will keep it close to current color. I'm not sure what color it is, but I'll have to stop by the BM store and pick up a tab for Briarwood. I think those color visualizers are just a bit off, at least on our monitor -- Down Pour is a very smurf-y blue on my screen. Luckily, SW store is right down the street. Of the SW colors, we liked Mineral Deposit -- gray, but not quite so dark. Johnmari, my wife said exactly that about warm trim looking bad with cool gray field color. I just want to get away from the current ultrawhite, just tone down a bit but not too much. Shutters? I think we will someday, after we've finished the essentials. Of course, being picky, I don't want to just screw aluminum shutters that don't match window size on there, so might be a while given that real shutters & hardware are pricey. The suggestion about doing the sash black is good--that could look really sharp and make the windows pop a bit more until we can dress it up a bit more with shutters. Absolutely agreed on the landscaping solutions. Could be more varied and it would add a lot. THANK YOU for all your suggestions, such a helpful group & nice little corner of the internet.
    ...See More

We picked the wrong carpet color to go with the warm tones of our hous

Q

Comments (22)
    You have a few options: (1) Run the dark wood where the tile in the entry is. This will cause less of a clash, and be less visually disrupting than having three different floorings. You can then find a paint color that works with the gray carpet yet still feels neutral and works with your furnishings. (2) Run the dark wood throughout the entire downstairs. This will create a cohesive look; you can use a throw carpet in the den area (not on the diagonal, though!). You can then find a paint color that works with the gray carpet on the stairs yet still feels neutral and works with your furnishings. As far as recommended paint colors, that's difficult based on photos. The carpet you chose appears to have a very blue undertone. If you got rid of the carpet completely on the first floor, you might want to try SW Accessible Beige, it's a great color I often recommend to clients who want to go a little gray but still want a warm look. I don't know if it would play well with your carpet, though.
    ...See More

Help we need advice on our ew build house colours.

Q

Comments (11)
    What about this arrangement? : use the lighter tone on the left side of the house where the siding will be under either a roof or a deck, the darker sage tone for all the rest of the house including the sides and rear. Garage doors, the wood tone and the beams stained to match
    ...See More

What color should we paint our house?

Q

Comments (3)
    We are getting new landscaping in the spring. Just finished the hardscaping. Also we are getting new black storm doors and replacing the frosted glass in the door with something more minimal. We want to freshen up the paint since it’s fading and was looking for advice on a color. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • Vertise
    8 years ago

But why isn't their developer advising of this at the outset. This is a very expensive redo!

• amck2
    8 years ago

The last thing I would do is paint some of the house a new color and leave the rest as is.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Who picked the color? Was this one of their color choices? If so, I think the developer has two options -- (1) repaint (the entire house, not part) in your new choice of color at their expense, or (2) change the approved color so will have to chose a different color when you repaint in a number of years and tell the complainers ithey can buy a house in another color and yours will look much different when there are other houses, grass and landscaping and the color will fade. If (2) isn't getting the desired results they can revisit (1).

If you picked the color and they approved it, see the above. If you picked the color and they had no idea, get as much from them as you can (start with they paint the entire house and concede, if necessary, to them paying for paint on the back and sides and the labor for the whole house and you pay for the paint only on the front -- paint's less than the labor and the front has the windows, door and stone so it's not a lot of paint at that). Maybe they are offering sides and back because they think you want to keep this blue, or perhaps they are being cheap, but if they think they will lose even one sale of another house, they will do what it takes to make you both happy. My guess anyway.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I agree with those who said wait until other houses are finished and your landscaping is in. Trees and shrubs will temper the color a lot and in several of your pictures, the color doesn't look quite so bright. I say give it some time and then decide...unless you really don't like it. Then, let them pay to tone it down a bit.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I know others love the color but wow, I would be offering you some paint myself if I was the neighbor. I have a friend that painted her house similarly and 10 years later I am still waiting for it to fade. We have a neighbor that also has a similar blue, I suppose it is better than builder beige and all of stuff in the driveway hides it but boy is it blue! If you are the ones painting it yourself, see if painting everything from the second story down leaving the tip top in this blue will keep everyone happy.

Wonder why no one said anything while the paint was going on? Not like that was done in a couple of hours

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

If you are "the 1st/2nd home in the development" how can there be many neighbors objecting?

• User
    8 years ago

Dekeoboe - I think the OP meant it's the 1st or 2nd house after entering the development...?

I would absolutely NOT paint only a portion of the house. I seldom use blue, but that color blue does not strike me as particularly bad.

• chispa
    8 years ago

Well ... every neighborhood needs a good landmark! ;-)

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

For me it's too bright and it doesn't go well with the stone on the front. I would agree to let them pay to paint it in a grayish tone. But that's just me.

• royhobbs23
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey everyone, I appreciate all the comments. I want to make it clear that we are re-painting. The developer is a really nice guy, and I feel bad he's getting stuck in the middle of all this. He made it clear that we don't HAVE to change the house. It's up to us. However, I think my wife and I, with our contractor feel like it's probably the right thing to do, as long as we are still happy with the color, and they pay for it. I do appreciate all your support though. What I am mainly looking for now are good color suggestions to re-paint with. We're also using some gray blues inside the house for walls and cabinets, so I don't know if it's good to match those, or steer clear. Thanks again!

SW 6246 North Star
    SW 6243 Distance
    SW 6239 Upward
    SW 6249 Storm Cloud

We like this house.

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

It is so easy to say "who cares what THEY think". Has anyone ever had to live NEXT TO a home that did not reflect the rest of the neighborhood or town? We are living that--only it isn't over paint it is over upkeep. I am in the "no blue" camp anyway but the one thing that struck me was your shake detail in your peaks. Seems unfortunate not to highlight them with a different color...Maybe that would tone it down a tish.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Arcy, we're not talking about a dump. The house behind me is a dump; screams "white trash lives here." Thank goodness for flora in the summer! We're also not talking about a bright pink house with neon green trim. It's a bright blue. "Too bright" sounds like nitpicking to me, people going for exact matchy-poo nonsense - not to mention control. These things definitely fall on a spectrum, but I think most here believe this blue doesn't fall within that realm. And Chispa makes a great point: "We are the third house after the bight blue house."

Perfect!

At any rate, OP says they're definitely repainting, so it's not an issue. Bigger issue to me is that some people need to lighten up a bit about not achieving their idea of Utopia.

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

And all the poor guy wanted was a paint color suggestion because, after all, this is the home decor forum, I think...

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

You've listed colors at the bottom of the post closest to this current one. Are those the colors you're considering for the outside? Looks like North Star is too light (unless you mean for trim, contrast, etc.) and Storm Cloud is farther away from blue. What's really funny is, as I typed in the name, I thought, Distance. Ah, I really like that one. Wait? Isn't that the one I said? But really, I am watching this thread because I have to paint and am considering the same scheme ;)

• busybee3
    8 years ago

it's a pretty color blue, but I don't think I would want my house exterior that bright...

it is a shame that nothing was said in the process of painting the house! oh well!

I like SW distance! I think the storm cloud might look nice too! I would be concerned that upward and north star would both look too much like baby blue on the house exterior... if wanting a lighter color, I would look at colors more similar to the gray shingle from the SW colors shown above.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Just looking at it on my screen, I really like Distance. I think that might be closer to what you were originally looking for. If you still like that look, that seems to be the only one that keeps that look. The others are all greys with some blue undertones -- will be more monochromatic. Storm Cloud would be the closest of the greys -- deeper tone with just a touch of blue.

Have you searched the internet for photos of each of these? Make sure you search by the color and specify exterior (sw storm cloud exteriot) and notice how the color lookos in bright sun and shadows. Your inspiration photo is all in shadow while the photo of your home is full, intense sunlight. The color is going to look more grey in shaddow and more intense in sunlight, not matter which one you chose.

If you are using blues and/or greys inside the home, I would consider them in making the exterior choice. You don't need to match the colors (the same color is going to look different on the exterior than it does on the interior), but everything will be more harmonious if you keep the same blue-grey tones in mind. I have blues in my home, but my exterior is red brick with white columns and shutters. They should play well together, matching or not.

• User
    8 years ago

Some pics. I like the darker ones.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

I think it looks rather Scandinavian. Yes, the color will fade over time. Landscaping will help. Can the trim, garage door, etc be painted something besides white? The blue may look less jarring against a different color. This is why I would never live in a CCR. They get too power happy. How can you legislate taste?

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

I think the paint store screwed up - that's NOT SW's Denim.

• PRO
    Ryan Painting Services
    8 years ago

Get hold of your local Sherwin Williams paint store, and see if they have an architectural rep who can do a digital rendering. Those do help. Usually they done for their big customers who are redoing a big condo project. But it sounds like you have a ppl skills to get it done. Doesn't hurt to ask. Sorry, I don't have a SW color fan deck. I am on the west coast, and we typically use other brands.

• eastautumn
    8 years ago

As it sounds like you're going to re-paint, I'll suggest BM Hale Navy as a possible color. A neighbor just repainted her house that color and it's beautiful with the stonework (some of which is dark like yours). She used a creamy white for the trim and a deep red for the gables and front door. Here's a pinterest picture showing an exterior painted in Hale Navy: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/159244536799263453/

I'd definitely make sure the whole house is repainted (or left as-is), or I think it will look strange and unfinished. I've heard of HOAs disapproving color choices, but after you've painted seems a little late to be complaining...

For what it's worth, I think your house looks fine as it is-- better than a light blue or gray color would look on your house. I agree with those who've commented that once you add landscaping it will soften the color a lot. But I live in a neighborhood with very colorful houses (with an HOA that has to approve paint colors). There are some color schemes I don't care for at all (bright purple with aqua and lavendar trim/detail, for example), but I'd much see rather some jarring colors here and there than live in a sea of "greige" ;)

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

This is why I would never live in a CCR. They get too power happy. How can you legislate taste?

Those were once my exact words, but now I've had to eat them. We wanted a new home and it is impossible to buy a new home in my area that doesn't come saddled with a mandatory HOA. It didn't used to be this way here, and I'm wondering if it's something that is becoming more and more of a norm country-wide.

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

My husband used to say that he would never live in a neighborhood that had a Covenant. Then we moved into one and because people are not allowed to trash their homes, paint them bright pink, and let their yards die, the 40 year old neighborhood is still beautiful and the houses are well sought after.

We moved from that town 10 years ago and our current old house neighborhood has no covenants, and anything goes. What a shame.

Diane

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

I agree, I think the paint store screwed up. The color on your house looks like sw commodore which is the next color up from sw denim on the paint card.

• royhobbs23
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks folks. I should have said what we are using these other colors for.

SW 6246 North Star - Interior walls & ceilings.
    SW 6243 Distance- Kitchen island & cabinets in main floor bathroom and laundry.
    SW 6239 Upward, for the other kitchen cabinets.
    SW 6249 Storm Cloud, for the upstairs cabinets in bathrooms.

Denim is what we used on the exterior. Just as a comparison. These all look very different when painted. Here's a few of them mixed with others on some paper.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I love the range and that the exterior gives you a hint of the interior. I think you're on the right track. Did you decide on another within your palette? Or are you going a completely different way?

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Are you absolutely sure your exterior is denim? Your house looks much darker and brighter as if it's commodore.

• selcier
    8 years ago

It seems you are going in a different direction.. But I absolutely love the color! Very beautiful - not bright at all.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

The house with the storm cloud MizGG posted above (3rd one) looks more blue than what I was seeing from a swatch elsewhere -- definintely worth considering. I would go with that or t

Hale Navy is a great color and I like it on the whole house more than I thought I would, but I wonder if it would still be "too blue" for the folks who objected to denim, especially in those gorgeous sunny skies.

We live in a planned community with pretty heavy CCR's (not allowed to have a clotheline or laundry pole in the back yard as well as paint colors, fence choices, roof selections, additions and vehicle parking, etc.). When you see things that people do in violation of those rules, you are grateful they are there.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Of course colors in pictures can be off, but that house doesn't appear to be denim to me.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the blue but can see too how it may be too bright. A mile down the road from me some people bought an older ranch styled home that is on a busier road, the first thing they did was paint it HOT PINK and it is so fugly. So yes it could be worse, but...

SW distance is nice looking on the swatch in the pictures posted earlier.

• lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

Beautiful home... Not to mention that view in the background... Wow!

I agree that the blue is a tad bright...nice that the contractor is helping out!

I really like the blue ( blue- grey) in your inspiration pic.

If you thought about going more grey, perhaps something like Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal. I also love BM Dior Grey , but I'm not sure how this would look on your exterior.

Again, beautiful home& plenty of blue/ blue- grey options to tone it down a bit:)

kendall charcoal:

royhobbs23 thanked lisa_mocha
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I understand you are asking here for opinions, but have you cleared the new choices with the powers that be that nixed the current color. Because if they pay for the re paint and it's not in the particular paint range they want, I think they will be a little more than upset. There should be an approved paint colors list. If not they need to have a meeting and come up with one to avoid this kind of situation in the future, or they just had better be ready to accept what ever color gets painted. I personally think the house looks great and landscaping and time will change the boldness. I think the new color better be a much milder color to satisfy them. But ask them before us if you haven't already.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

My color choice suggestions are found on the home at the link, the stone is very similar to yours. SW Gray Shingle

Colors

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

Tibbix I can TOTALLY see this is far from a "dump" my point is it doesn't matter--if you are the next door neighbor and have to look at that which you find offensive it is not a great place to be.

• Amber
    8 years ago

I personally LOVE it, but I understand why you're willing to change. Please don't do gray. Your house looks gorgeous and vivacious. Gray is not. Try the Van Deusen Blue.

ETA Nothing against gray - it's beautiful - but this house wants color!!

royhobbs23 thanked Amber
  • Kanga
    8 years ago

Well, at least your developer doesn't live near this guy in my home town. It's the Purple House of Milwaukee (WI). The city asked him to paint his house years ago and this is what the city got. I grew driving by it almost every week. (In a closer picture, you'd be able to see the colorful flowers painted on the side of the house.)

Personally, I don't think the blue is all that bad; however, I understand how the sides and back might seem overwhelming with no "breaks." Either way, good luck sorting out the paint thing and Happy Thanksgiving to you are your family.

royhobbs23 thanked Kanga
  • treehuggergirl
    8 years ago

You might want to look at SW Foggy Day. It's a very nice color. It looks very gray next to all the other blues, but by itself, it is a nice blue with gray undertones.

royhobbs23 thanked treehuggergirl
  • royhobbs23
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So we're going to go with Boothbay Blue for the siding, and we're going to do three of the front sections of shakes with a 200% Boothbay mix, which will be darker.

I honestly think this will be closer to what we were shooting for in the first place, and we ran it by the developer, so they're good with it. It won't be nearly as vivacious as the current color, but that's alright.

This is a really rough mockup, probably not very accurate color-wise. Wish us luck!

• PRO
    Ryan Painting Services
    8 years ago

Very nice!

royhobbs23 thanked Ryan Painting Services
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I agree, very nice. I picked up Distance this weekend and I was thinking it was more blue than I'd intended. Looks like you too are leaning towards greyer.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Seriously, I LOVE your blue house, and your house is why I would never ever move into a "community development". The Pink Hello Kitty house someone else has exhibited is too much, I'd agree -- but I'd basically tell new house guests -- if you reach Hello Kitty, you've gone too far, turn around and come back...

Yes, a blue grey would work I'm sure. I don't have one to show you -- my current home is all grey with brown-red shutters and white trim.

I like "Distance" and "Storm Cloud", in that order.

PS: Your Boothbay Blue choice on your most recent post is also wonderful.

royhobbs23 thanked artemis_ma
  • treehuggergirl
    8 years ago

Love! 200% Boothbay Blue is probably close to Evening Blue, which is the Hardie color we are color matching :) It's very hard to get a sample board of these days (finally got mine after two months, but a darker version of Foggy Day was very close), which just goes to show how awesome it is. Blue is very hard to get right, but I think you found a winner!

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

We would love to see a picture afterward.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Rob, yes, please post photos after!

Wow, kangadr, that's definitely a case of 'be careful what you ask for, you might get it'!

• melle_sacto
    8 years ago

I like the tone-on-tone look of your mock-up...very elegant.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    8 years ago

I really love the original color blue. We have a Victorian house and painted it two shades of orange and all of our neighbors love it.

I hope you love the repaint.

• lillystar1
    2 years ago

Curious what color you went eith fir the repainting of the exterior. We are in a similar situation that st we need to paint ( HOA) we want a blue gray but I’m so worried it will turn out to bright, too dark, etc.