SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_rivera45

DIY Temporary Kitchen Floor for the Holidays?

Laurie Rivera
8 years ago

This last year we've been experimenting (unsuccessfully) with different flooring options for the kitchen in our circa 1800 colonial. Currently, it's a patchwork of old linoleum tiles, new vinyl tiles (both peeling), paper bag flooring (too dark), wallpaper flooring (too shiny), crumbling floor leveling compound, popped nail-heads, sturdy flake-board and spongy particle-board. It's truly the ugliest floor I've ever encountered.

After months of exhaustive research on DIY floors, we believe we've settled on recycled pallet flooring, but collecting the pallets is taking longer than we expected so it won't happen until the Spring, at least.

In the meantime, I've just learned that we're having guests for the holidays and as much as I would love to say that the ugly, crumbly floor doesn't matter, it JUST DOES. I need a cheap, simple, temporary (or something that can be floored over) option that I can get down by Christmas.

We're all handy here, but we're all busy at this time of the year too, so it can't be anything too time intensive. It doesn't have to be gorgeous, just passable. I know I'm asking for the impossible, but I figure there's always a chance that some brilliant person here has a solution that I didn't find. =)

Comments (4)