SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Tackling the garage this holiday weekend.

claire_de_luna
16 years ago

Oh my. There is stuff out there that's been there since we remodeled our kitchen in 2004. We took a break, then remodeled the bathroom, and refinished the floors. Since then, the refrigerator in the garage has died, and we've pulled stuff out of the house to set aside for a yard sale that hasn't happened yet. This is the year to reclaim my real estate. First the garage cleaning/organizing, THEN comes the basement! Right now, I need the garage to become a staging area for our sale. (It looks like my car will have to live outside for a few weeks.) There will be a lot of purging going on!

We're looking at the Gladiator wall system for getting stuff off the floor. Has anyone used this? I'm planning on putting our cars in the driveway with space in front so it doesn't look like we're having a yard sale while we sort. There are some built-in cupboards already, but I don't know yet what kind of system to incorporate until I know what I'm going to store in there. I don't think the space has ever been utilized to full advantage. Realistically, we can only get one car in the garage, as we have a older home with a smaller, two car garage and need space for lawn equipment, snowblower, etc. I actually bought my last car with downsizing in mind, so it would be easier to get the car in the garage!

I'm thinking of leaving a wide aisle along the wall with the storage system so we can access it all (tracks with hooks for hanging everything), and parking the mowers near the door. I would also like to incorporate a workbench, which is something DH has never had, although he's had plenty of occasion to use one. I have a potting table in the garage as well, which is front of the car when I park it. (The bags of soil help cushion the bumper.)

What a thing to use a three day weekend for...I'll be glad when it's done. After I get all that STUFF out of my life, I'm taking a vacation! Please think good thoughts for me, since I need all the help I can get! Do you have any tips or words or wisdom for me?

Comments (28)