SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knitmaster

4 ton Trane XL18i quoted…but 3 ton system going in!

knitmaster
8 years ago

Help! Rough in just finished on HVAC and have noticed that air handler is different than what was originally quoted. Our original quote was for Trane XL18i 4TWX8048A1 with *AM7A0C42H31 air handler. Home is new construction, tight envelope with double pane windows. spray foam insulation in roof. 2200 sf on one level, conditioned basement with superior walls around 3/4 of daylight basement. Home is oriented for passive solar, we are in zone 6b mtns of NC. Just noticed the installed air handler is a tem6aoc36h31. heating contractor now saying oh that is better air handler because it "is metal as opposed to plastic, is tighter, and has a better HSPF rating". He plans to pair it with a TRANE 4TWX8036C1. Not what we agreed on. either air handler model or size. Our initial proposal called for a 3.5 ton Lennox 14HPX…but we wanted a 2 stage unit, so settled on 4 ton Trane xl18i. Independent Manual J load calculations were completed. I am concerned that the switch to 3 ton will not be large enough, and dismayed to have a sub contractor changing size and type of air handler without any communication. What I need help with is to understand if this 3 ton system is still appropriate for our home and if the change to tem6 air handler is a sound choice. Not sure about sizing of ducts, but will find that out if necessary. Sorry for the long post. tried to be thorough in an area that I am far from understanding. Thank you.

Comment (1)