SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Layout for furniture Living & Dining

artemis_ma
8 years ago

Layout for Living/Dining (Cross posted from Organizing a Home)

I am building a house two hours north of here. Meanwhile, I've broken my leg and am laid up playing around with interior furniture organisation and layout.

This is the layout that works best for me (I think). I'll post the other two thoughts in a post below. Suggestions welcome.

Living room length -- 28 feet. Width to wall - 17 feet. Livingroom + dining - 32 feet. All doors & hallway entry 36" (except coat closet lower right = 28 inches and French doors to deck = 5 feet). Windows, doors and walls not open for change. Wood burning stove with fireproof mat under and triangular breakfront at front left of house are not subject to moving. (Red asterisks.)

Each grid - 1 foot. Sofa footprint takes into account there are human legs in front of it. Entertainment footprint is at the deepest part -- at the one end would be narrow shelving for DVD and CDs, and would take in account the right hand inswing of that front door. (TV itself is no more than a 36 incher -- I can't get downstairs to measure it with my broken leg.)

Current dining table (shown) is 35" x 53" -- I will upgrade to 40" x 70" to seat six.

Not shown: there will be a coat rack between triangular breakfront and garage door, not purchased yet.

The two chairs facing the wood burning stove are on rollers.

Yes, that's half a kitchen peninsula at the upper right.

Uses: I live alone but like to entertain. When I have lots of guests the outdoors will be used often.

Since you may not be able to read things, going up from bottom to top from triangular breakfront: --> space for coat rack --> garage entry door --> wall unit (6 feet tall) -- > wine rack (about 35" tall) -- > sideboard (30 inches tall) --> window ---> narrow tall bookcase (4.5 feet tall).

Comments (8)