SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_mcneil57

European Sources for Roses

I'm picking your brains this afternoon. What are some of the nurseries in Europe that will ship to the USA? I have contacted 1000 Islands Roses and they will ship to the US.

Comments (35)

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

There are some, I know, but there are a lot of import laws and quarantines involved.

Anne Zone 7a Northern CA thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I will have to find out all about those, California is one of the strictest states when it comes to agriculture as they have so much on the line and a climate where bugs and plants flourish. I did chat with Fabien at http://www.roseraie-fabien-ducher.com/ and he said I would need an import permit. I'm sure high costs are also in play. I would like to get some roses from Europe to compare with what is selling in the US under the same name. Curiousity killed the cat!

• Related Discussions

European Ginger - mail order sources?

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks dry gulch. i'd found that source too, but they don't ship over the summer. amazingly, i finally found some locally. it cost an arm and a leg, but i figured i didn't have to pay for shipping, and..... well.... no other excuses come to mind. basically, i just wanted it really really badly!
    ...See More

european sources for Jap tree peonies

Q

Comments (1)
    I believe that Kelways will ship anywhere in Europe. Other large UK suppliers probably will also. Here is a link that might be useful: Kelways Peonies
    ...See More

Source for European Crawlers

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, I did receive some cocoons from pjames, and I saw my first hatched worm this morning from this batch. He was up against the side of the insectarium that they are in, and then he moved away from the side, because of the light, I suppose. I looked and many of the other cocoons are still in tact, so this must one of the older cocoons hatching. Hopefully the others will come out and play soon. I would say the sender of the cocoons would get at least double points compared to the person who merely starts with a few worms/cocoons and builds an "empire" from there!
    ...See More

Need help to ID this old European rose

Q

Comments (54)
    Another sad update, my cutting didn't make it :( We had a day where some rain blew under the verandah where they were and the soil must have gotten a touch too damp, because it started to go brown a few days later. All the other cuttings I had in the same spot were fine and are all leafing up nicely, such a shame! I'm actually about to move to NZ (long story...) and while I'm devastated to leave the roses here (especially my Teas), I'm sure there will be lots of rosy opportunities in NZ! I'm going to create another thread asking for recommendations for a slightly colder zone, as I have never had to deal with frost before! I can only hope that this Rookwood rose recovers from its brutal pruning and shoots again next year, perhaps I'll get some holiday time to come back and check on it!
    ...See More
  • Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

Does Fabian export to the U.S. ?

Susan

Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Fabien said he would with the proper import licenses. I'm sure there are many hoops to jump through before getting such a permit for living plants. I will do more research and speak to one of my sons, who during college did a 6 month internship with the Dept. of Commerce helping small businesses get import and export licenses. As I said before I'm sure it is very expensive. The only other thing I've tried importing from Europe is some Edelweiss liquour. Between the wire transfers, tariffs and exchange rate I think it came to over $100/bottle. :) Probably easier to get a nursery with an existing permit to import for one, I am a gardener, not in commerce,

8 years ago

I actually acquired a post entry quarantine permit and had an inspection so that I could import. However, I am having trouble with the company who agreed to ship to me. I found a company in the Netherlands to ship and then saw that the USA doesn't allow me to import roses from the Netherlands.

Susan

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Then you may well want to try Roseraie Fabien Ducher. He was very responsive and friendly in our communiques. Sounds like you are all set up. Aside from the roses on the website they have a list of rare roses they root in small quatities. Let me know if you are able to get some. I would love to buy from you! Do you sell roses?

• jerijen
    8 years ago

AND there is another issue. The process of getting them here drags things out so extensively that no few plants are D.O.A., by the time you actually receive them.

Anne Zone 7a Northern CA thanked jerijen
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

For those of us who want to grow some of the newer Evers hybrids (Tantau), I suggest we all email Palatine and express our interest in this with Palatine being the seller. Several years ago, Palatine told me that Tantau has no agent over here, so those newer roses can't be sold in Canada and U.S. Yet, a few still show up like Ascot and Augusta Luise, plus I know Tea Time has been sold over here briefly in Canada. Could someone enlighten me as to why this is possible without said agent? Diane

8 years ago

Diane I nominate YOU as Tantau's American rep!! : )

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Hahaha, Susan. However, I would be happy to email them again, because it's been at least three years since my last nagging. They're due a talking to. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Oh, I forgot to clarify that I was talking about Palatine, but upon thinking about it, I should contact Tantau, too. Diane

Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad to see some interest out there! I drool over so many of the roses I see online but I guess there are so many roses already here I don't have I should be happy with the large selection, But like so many collectors, it is the rare and untouchable that intrigues me! :) On Fabien Ducher's website I see pictures of him with Mike Shoup of Antique Rose Emporium and at the Texas growing grounds. Perhaps they are planning surprises we do not yet know about! I hope so, in my book ARE sends the best plants I've gotten thus far. I would also love to compare, as I said before, roses of certain names sold here and in Europe to see if they are one in the same! But as Jeri said, I don't want to pay a fortune for dead roses...I can get those anywhere!

8 years ago

Ascot is one awesome rose! Gorgeous!!!! Have you to thank for that Diane! And I tried to get Bernstein Rose in the auction but no luck.

I will email Palatine too. Ive sent more than a few dollars their way.

What are you drooling over, Anne?

Susan

• roseguy
    8 years ago

Here is a USDA link that may be useful.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/home/

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I'm going to check my drool list of Tantau roses in a little while, and then list them here. Maybe interested rosers can check them out, and then nag Palatine using your own personal list. Meanwhile, here's one that's on my brain, and won't go away: Froufroutante Jackie. Does anyone grow this beauty? It's not a Tantau, but I may nag about Tante Jackie, too. Diane

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Tante J looks to be one gorgeous rose, Nanadol. I have Chippendale, a Tantau rose, released here a few years ago, which is similar in colouring, but not as froufrou. I hope you are able to persuade your suppliers that Tantau and Massad roses are necessary additions to their lists. Wish we had more here.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I love Chippendale and Hortico carried it for a while, as well as Bernstein-Rose, and Augusta Luise. Then poof they were gone.

Thanks for the link, roseguy. I'm almost afraid to use it. I might disappear into a government portal, and never be seen again. Diane

8 years ago

Diane I have wanted Chippendale since I laid eyes on it many years ago! And Frou is on my list too. I had quite a list for Filroses. Then I looked at the USDA site. Seems roses cannot be imported from Belgium. There are few approved countries and the suppliers in those countries are fewer still!

Let's all bug Palatine. I have a BIG order in with them this season and they are always super-kind.

Susan

• Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Oh I do hope that you can get some Tantau roses over there, it's a shame you miss out on many beauties. I think they are my favorites.

• mariannese
    8 years ago

Tantau roses are my favorites among newer roses, too. I knew little about them for many years, had only a beloved Bernstein-Rose and an indifferent Allotria that came with the house. Then four years ago there was a project to trial continental and American roses in Sweden, for health and hardiness. It was organized by the rose industry and supported by the Ministry of Agriculture. I had 2 each of 5 Tantaus, Alabaster, Baronesse, Mariatheresia, Pastella and Uetersener Klosterrose and 3 bushes of Kordes Rotkäppchen. We had to study them for three years, noting everything about them and send in detailed questionnaires every year. I was so pleased with all except Pastella (inferior plants from the beginning, I think) and the climber Uetersener Klosterrose died in its third year, from what I don't know.

I was so enthusiastic that I went to the Tantau headquarters in Uetersen early in September to buy a few new climbers and replace the dead Pastella with two Aspirin-Rose, not new but safe and reliable.

I think it's a great idea to try and get a Tantau agent in the US.

The trial bed in 2012

Baronesse. The color is described as magenta in the catalog but the color was not as harsh in real life as I feared and less than in the photo.

A recent photo of Mariatheresia with Alabaster

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Here's a link to the Tantau online shop [link]

I just discovered some new and beautiful roses they've recently added to the shop, but of course, we Americans and others can only view enviously at these beauties listed for sale in euros. I love the new additions to the Piano series, and Marianne's Mariatheresia above is still one of my favorites. Thanks for posting your lovely roses, Marianne.

Next, I write to Palatine for a little nagging email. It would be so nice to be able to order some of these roses. Diane

8 years ago

United we stand. I'm on board.

Susan

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Nanadol, I went through my photos, such as they are, and found a couple of another Tantau rose, TAN234, released here as Shooting Star about 5 years ago. The first pic was taken in March this year ( Autumn - mid/high 90s ) and the second was about 4 weeks ago ( Spring - high 60s ). I love the variable colour. Melodye.

8 years ago

Adding Shooting Star to the list!!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

That's a lovely rose, Oz, I wonder if it has still other names. I'm going to have to look on HMF, since companies seem to use different rose names for each country the roses are sold in, which is certainly confusing to the buyer. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Just looked on HMF and Shooting Star is described as a hybrid tea with very full blooms. They are asking for photos since they have none and not much description, either. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Me again, and the gorgeous Chippendale is listed as having some other names, but only released in Germany. This is a rose with over 100 favorite feedbacks. People like it, so why doesn't Tantau get smart and make it available in Canada and the U.S.? They could give Austin a run for his money. Diane

• nikthegreek
    8 years ago

Shooting Star must have some other name but HMF is not updated on that. Wonder which rose it is. And that TAN234 code does not sound correct (too few digits)

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Nanadol, if you want to upload my photos to HMF feel free to do so. I have not the least clue. The agent for Tantau here is Knights Roses. Sorry, haven't worked out how to post links either! Their code for the rose is T234. The rose is listed as being a compact 0.5 - 0.8m on their site, but another nursery lists it as 1.0m which is what it is for me. Colour descriptions vary from pale yellow aging to apricot, to old gold aging to mustard. They do agree on the very full old world bloom and the healthy foliage..... Trying not to infringe copyrights here :) Melodye

Original Author
    8 years ago

Susan asked many comments ago what roses I am drooling over. I had a gazebo installed yesterday and have been busy prepping the site and putting the cornerstones and center stone. WoW! Are Amish Country Gazebos amazing. The crew came at 8:30 in the morning and installed my 12' gazebo in 4 hours, they were on the road out of here at 12:30. I'm absolutely in love with the gazebo, so very well made! If anyone in the uS is in the market for a gazebo, pergola or pavilion, summerhouse or poolhouse I can highly recommend this company. I'm in California, so far from the manufacture in Pennsylvania but they delivered for free! Anyway back to roses...Some of the ones I see that I would love to have: Noisette Moschata, Papillon the tea, Bernard, Comte de Torres (Angel Gardens has one that looks much different than Ducher's, but they only show a bud so it is hard to judge), Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant,

and now my computer is centering everything for some bizarre reason so I will stop there. Anything pinkish floppy button-eyed, and tissue paper like :)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Garden structures · More Info
    The gazebo I am thrilled! Now to plant some heavenly smelling roses so the scent can waft on the breeze. :)

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Anne, I had ( and have ) Papillon. It is a beautiful rose. My first was on an arch which was ripped out in gale force winds, taking the rose with it. I finally replaced it this year, ( NOT on an arch) so it is still small, but can't wait for it to flower.

Sorry, I cross posted and missed the photo of the gazebo at first. That is really beautiful and will be stunning when the roses grow, whatever you choose. Looking forward to pics.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Now is your chance to try Nahema, Anne, on that stunning gazebo. What tea parties you'll have. Diane

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my, Nahema is a beauty! Glad to hear about Papillon, do you have any pics. I'm sorry about your arch. The gazebo was installed just in time for the rain and snow and although I have orders coming from ARE and Palatine they may have to over winter in pots. I'm going to TX next week and my daughter and I are planning a visit to Chamblee's. :)

So fun to hear about all these roses, even if some are out of reach.