SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pschr

Looking for help choosing color of tile for backsplash...

pschr
8 years ago

As suggested I am starting a new feed for backsplash. We are on the last part of our kitchen remodel. We had our Napoli Granite installed and need to choose the color of subway tile. The first color is white, the second color is a handmade tile from Fire Clay which I should have taken out of the photo ($30.00 sq. foot), and the last color is bisque, both tiles were purchased at Menard's.

backsplash · More Info

Comments (42)

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Bisque.

pschr thanked eld6161
  • dcward89
    8 years ago

Bisque looks like a great choice...always with the disclaimer that color is very difficult to judge over the web.

pschr thanked dcward89
  • Related Discussions

Need help with choosing backsplash tile please!

Q

Comments (11)
    Bill, you clearly need some crab or gingko dear! LOL (As your new OCD friend I can say these things *winks*!) Traci can't get those first tiles because they have been discontinued. Do you know of a different tile company that makes something similar? She would love those first tiles, actually she DID love those first tiles until she found out that the sample the company sent had been discontinued. Traci, I hope I didn't put words in your mouth, but that's what you are asking right? If anyone knows of a different source for the first tiles? I do like those first ones with the mother of pearl type tiles mixed in, but I also think the second one you found would also be pretty! When I get back from running errands I'll try to see if I can help you find those other ones. There was no identifying info anywhere on the sample? Not a number of any sort or color name? Kat :)
    ...See More

Need help choosing backsplash tile color

Q

Comments (2)
    The oiled pic didn't come through : ( Your kitchen is really great! A lot of things would go with it. It's so pretty and timeless. Do you like modern or more traditional type of tiles? What is the style of the rest of your home?
    ...See More

Still need help choosing backsplash tile

Q

Comments (16)
    ktj, I finally got a sample of the cameo today. I didn't really like it in the store and I liked it even less at home. For some reason they put more of the color "gunk" on it than they do with the Britton. If it had a lot less of the added color, it might not be so bad. The thing I really can't figure out is why in the store display--hanging vertically--the Britton bone has a much warmer tone to it and looks like it would go perfectly. But when you pick up a sample and look at it horizontally--or at my home in natural light--it has a very stark white/gray look. It's better than the Cameo but I need something with a bit of warmth.
    ...See More

Looking for help choosing an entryway floor tile

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi there - I can't seem to find a tile that gets me excited for this stairway landing. We just replaced the back door, and this landing is at the top of our basement stairs. The stairs and the floor leading to the landing are both white oak. I like 12x24 solid-color porcelain tiles, but I can't find a color that looks great. The square brown tile is too big, I think (the landing is only 3' x 3') and too close to the color of the wall without matching. The lighter colors just seem... wrong to me. We have a dark brown constrast wall that you can see here- the other walls nearby are a caramel color; trim is white. Does anyone have great ideas? Thanks in advance!
    ...See More
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

backsplash · More Info

backsplash · More Info
    The top photo was taken during the installation of granite. I included it to give an idea of the kitchen. The bottom photo is a better photo of the tile color. Bisque is on top and white on the bottom.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Or, a lighter cream color to match the lightest cream in the granite. Not white, although your white doesn't appear white on my monitor.

pschr thanked eld6161
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The white is not as "white" as I thought it would be in the kitchen. My DH brought it home and I even asked him if it was white and he says it is white.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Of those, the bisque. Though it does look a little too pink in that last photo with the granite.

pschr thanked Carrie B
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually it the bisque does not look pink at home. I have several other samples that do look pink. I have seen it with no lights and lights and I am thinking bisque also. I need to choose an accent to put above the cook top.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

On my monitor--which my husband told me was color calibrated, but not sure what that exactly means--the white tile looks much much better with your granite.

pschr thanked sheloveslayouts
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any thoughts about a matte finish or gloss finish with subway tile?

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

I think that matte or gloss is a matter of personal preference, and that your kitchen will look good with either. I also think that if you kitchen lacks a lot of natural light, the gloss finish will help reflect light and will make the kitchen look a little lighter & brighter.

pschr thanked Carrie B
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can't tell much from just looking at a small section of granite and tile. It helps me when photos are taken from a few feet away so I can pick up the predominant tone of the counter. The bisque does feel slightly off to me, like maybe it could go almondy in installation, but you have it in shadow position in all the photos. I do like the white and that size for your kitchen.

I love matte glazes. They have a satiny sheen that looks rich to me.

I'd skip the accent over the range because of the microwave. You could do a horizontal accent tile in the color of the Fireclay. I think these are tasteful examples.

Pencil tile:

This is kind of cool how they added just a little sparkle by pairing a glass accent tile with matte subways. The subways are textured and stacked to give them a more modern look. The subways in the above photo are also stacked. That would be a nice look with the larger bisque subways.

pschr thanked User
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflowers you have captured my other thoughts for what to do with the backsplash! I am also starting to see the "lines" of our kitchen and am beginning to see you why your ideas work. I have given up the idea for a mosaic above the cook top. From what you can see from my pictures do you think more of a almond/biscuit/ivory color or a white color for the tile backsplash? The pictures taken of the sample tiles were with my iphone and I could not seem to capture the true color.

• pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Who knew there were so many shades of biscuit/almond/ect......

backsplash · More Info
    Any thoughts? The one on the far left is the tile from Menards that people were seeing pink in and I can see it now! The tiles with the words are Daltile biscuit (gloss and matte) and almond, the small one is Fire Clay, gardenia.

• pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the other side of the kitchen.

backsplash · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Big difference now! I'd use one of the lighter tiles.

Trying to decide by looking at two devices. The large one for sure. Maybe the center Dal Tile over the dishwasher.

pschr thanked User
  • Carrie B
    8 years ago

Agree that the lighter ones work best. The picture is small for me, even when I click on it, so I can't really get a good sense of the subtle differences.

pschr thanked Carrie B
  • cawaps
    8 years ago

I like all 5 of the newer tiles better than the Menard's tile. Honestly, I think any of them would be fine. I actually like the slightly darker one (with the writing) that's in the middle of the first of the last two posts (Daltile Almond, I think. I'd give the time of the post, but apparently, Houzz thinks "One hour ago" is a sufficient reference point). But then I think my preferences change a bit in the pic on the other side of the kitchen (due to lighting or whatever). I do think that any of the three Daltile tiles would be fine.

pschr thanked cawaps
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    8 years ago

White but get one with a crackle glaze. Broken color is always more appealing to the eye than flat color.

pschr thanked Anglophilia
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

I disagree. I think you should take white out of the equation. As I stated earlier, a light cream or tan that blends with the lightest shade of your granite.

This is very hard for us to discern. Your counter color changes in each photo.

I'd like to see the very last Datile sample, but my it's self. But, they seem to look different in your two photos.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Cream, light tan, beige, something in that area. Not white. Hard for us to tell with lighting and monitors which looks best.

pschr thanked Carrie B
  • User
    8 years ago

I think this granite is very similar to my Giallo Ornamental Light. It has a lot of white/cream quartz crystals that work with a warm white tile. When a granite is predominantly gold, like New Venetian Gold, white tile looks very stark next to it. I don't see this here. The white/cream in the granite seems pretty strong.

Yup. Always hard for us to tell on a monitor.

pschr thanked User
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The granite color in our kitchen is a warm buttery color with a mix of brown, black, gray and white. White is too stark with it, at least in my own opinion. It definitely needs an off white color for the back splash. I don't think my camera is capturing the colors as well as I thought it would. So, I guess I will have to make that decision on my own.

As many of you have said my counter is busy, but beautiful in our kitchen! I think I would like the focus to be on the counter not the backsplash. What I need to decide is what style of backsplash will best accomplish that.

Something like this?

Ballard Farmhouse · More Info

or something like this, but in a crackled tile or a plain biscuit color (daltile) or a glass subway?

Highlands Ranch Kitchen · More Info

I can't seem to find a reasonable priced crackle tile. We live in the St Louis area. Any thought?

P.S. Thank you to everyone who has commented.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

I agree I think the white or even off white should be out; it doesn't relate to anything; the last photo is closer to what I think would look best; something relating both to your wall color and granite. why don't you paint your backsplash area the wall color or a little bit lighter and see how you like it. glass might be a bit too modern and trendy for your space.

pschr thanked isabel98
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking today I should paint the backsplash space too, mostly because it may take me a long to time to pick it out.( hahaha) I was also thinking glass would be too modern looking for my space so I am glad to see you have the same opinion. Do you think I need to stick with 3X6 tile size?

• herbflavor
    8 years ago

in your pic of the tile lined up above the drawer, the far right and third from that end are my preferred ones. . In the pic with dishwasher I prefer the far right and also the third from end but not sure the lineup is the same in the 2 pics. But in the shot with the dishwasher, the far right tile shows a little too yellow so I'd pick the third from the end in pic with dishwasher.......watch out for too much yellow....don't like it with your tone of wood cabinets. If the lighting changes with time of day and different outlets being used, and your are getting yellow off the tiles I would stear clear of that and get something specifically a little khaki or greyed out cream/maybe subtle green. Is greige the color I'm thinking??

pschr thanked herbflavor
  • a2gemini
    8 years ago

Pschr- zillions of shades of cream and biscuit! I think I had about 20 tiles to compare colors. I agree with the you that white would be to stark in your warm kitchen.

Take a look at Grazia Rixi crackle tiles - I had to order mine as I couldn't find them locally. Hopefully, you can find locally.

I used The Tile Shop in CA which is not part of the chain of Tile Shops. Also, if you search GW, a number of us have used it.

Mine is 3.5 years old and still looks new.

Here is a link to the website where we purchased the tile- http://www.tile-shop.com/products/rixi/rixi.html

They will send you free samples

Hiding under the treats is my counter top with the Rixi backsplash. It is also available in a subway.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

"Do you think I need to stick with 3X6 tile size?"

No. At least, that's not what I did. Here's my 4x4 crackle tile:

• User
    8 years ago

You can do any size tile you want.

The pencil tile and dot is pretty in your photo. I like it high where it's not hidden by things on the counter.

Herbflavor brings up that she sees yellow in the last tile. So do I. I didn't think any of the other samples looked stark white like the tile in your pencil liner photo. You'd certainly want to avoid a pure white like someone with an addiction to Crest Whitestrips. Warm whites like A2s. Some call them cream.

• pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A2 if you would share the color of your tile I would appreciate that. Thanks. I will call the shop you got your tile from and see about online purchases.
  • isabel98
    8 years ago
    No I think the 3x6 is fine but 4x4 would be nice. A larger format too but not sure I would do anything too linear with the bead board
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

I second the Grazia Rixi!

pschr thanked eld6161
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ellendi6161 and A2 you have really impressed me with your kitchens and backsplashes!! You both have nice taste. I am checking into the Rixi, looks like I can't get them locally either. I called the tile-shop A2 recommended but they tell me I need to try a East Coast tile shop first because there apparently is not a dealer in the Midwest. Hoping I can find it for less than $20.00 sq. foot.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Pschr- Thank you for your compliment. It is hard to believe my kitchen is 3,5 years old. Mine is the crema color. Juliette used both the crema and nocce in hers.

Interesting as the California shop was willing to ship to me in A2. I did have it shipped to a business. It was the shop where I bought my cabinets and they accepted delivery at no charge.

You should be able to get it for under $20 including shipping,. I believe there is a place in NY that sells it. I also saw it at Malsnee tile shop in Reading PA. My Adam and DB live there.

Good luck.

pschr thanked a2gemini
  • pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No luck finding Rixi tile in the area and if I order and have it shipped it brings it to the price of Sonoma Tilemaker. I have a sample of Walker Zanger Cafe latte in a 3X12 which I really like, it is on the left. A sample of a factory made to look like handmade tile is on the right. The price point is about right for the project for us. I think the top picture represents the color better than the bottom picture. When I look at photo's on line with Walker Zanger I am afraid it is too glossy. Has anyone used Walker Zanger Cafe or seen it on the wall? Thoughts?

backsplash · More Info
    UCL turned off.

backsplash · More Info
    UCL turned on.

I need to decide on the size too. Any thoughts?

• pschr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like this photo the best as far as color and what is all going on in the kitchen with cabinets and pulls. I added the Fire clay Gardenia to the far right, I still like this color choice however the price is at the top end of our budget.

backsplash · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

I really like the casual hand-made look of the tile with your wood cabinets. It's slightly rustic but not too much. Much better than a perfect glossy white tile. I didn't see your last posts but I'm glad Gardenia didn't work for you. I have a sample and see gray undertones.

pschr thanked User
  • jpmom
    7 years ago

I love what you chose. Especially in the 3x12. Looks great!

pschr thanked jpmom
  • pschr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the compliments. We are very happy with what we chose. Walker Zanger took over 12 weeks to get our tile which seemed crazy at the time, however I couldn't be happier.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I think you made the perfect choice. I saw that WZ tile in the tile store and I was impressed with it.

pschr thanked cpartist
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

I agree. It's perfect. Funny how it now looks so easy and obvious to those who are not TKO that is! Enjoy.

pschr thanked eld6161
  • romy718
    7 years ago

Worth the wait - it's perfect.

pschr thanked romy718