SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Unglazed stoneware loaf pan - baking bread in it?

l pinkmountain
8 years ago

In a remote section of the tool shed I found a box of some of mom's more esoteric kitchen stuff, and there was a never-used, un-opened stoneware unglazed loaf pan. It's for bread. It's not a romertopf or a cloche, it is a standard loaf-shaped pan. I'd like to try baking a loaf of bread in it, but the last time I baked bread in my romertopf, it stuck and stuck hard! I had to tear the bread apart to get it out and scrub the dickens out of the pan which was not good for it. Since then I have used parchment paper when baking bread in it. So I'm wondering how to "treat" the pan to avoid sticking, other than using parchment. The instructions on the box says it will develop a "patina" over time with use, but I don't see how that is going to happen with bread always sticking to it. It's oil that gives something a patina, as in a cast iron pot. So I think those directions are off. Anyone used an unglazed loaf pan for bread baking? If so, how do you prevent sticking?

I'd like to make potato bread in it, because I have some potato water, but I am flexible, I can make any kind of bread.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!