SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_konkel71

Need advice on putting water heaters in the crawl space

brandon k
8 years ago

I have a 4 unit building in washington DC (2 units on the second floor, 2 on the bottom) that I am renovating. Each unit right now has its own water heater, and I've been toying with throwing all 4 in the crawl space under the building (around 4 feet high, 1200 square feet). The upsides as I see it would be not having to worry about leaks, and more so that I could get them out of the small 600sf apartments. The potential downsides I see are that the crawl space is not climate controlled at all so maybe I would be dealing with frozen pipes or just wasting electricity trying to keep these running down in the cold in the middle of winter. Also I suppose running pipes from the crawl space to the second floor would mean if you live in an upstairs unit you would have to run the tap a bit longer to get warm/hot water.
Is this a dumb idea and I should just try to find a place for them in each apartment unit? or do I not need to worry about pipes freezing if these are running and the units are occupied/amount of extra electric cost keeping these running will be negligible etc.?
Would love some advice on this and any aspects of this idea I haven't considered yet. Thanks!

Comments (3)