SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

A pound of hamburger and practical math

Bunny
8 years ago

Yesterday I was in the prepackaged meat dept. of my local supermarket. An employee was stocking items. Another shopper--in her 60s, nicely dressed, hair, makeup--wanted some hamburger. She asked the employee how to tell how much the package weighed. She wanted just over a pound. The employee pointed out the part of the labels that shows weight, a decimal value. The shopper looked confused. The employee said, this one is three-quarters of a pound (.75). The shopper said, oh, so it's 3 pounds? No, less. Oh, she said, I need more. The employee said, you can buy more than one package. The shopper didn't want to do that, wanted all her burger in one pack. Finally the employee found a package that was just a little over 1 pound and the shopper went on her way.

She couldn't figure out what the decimal figure meant. She didn't know that .75 was 3/4, or even what 3/4 meant. She couldn't tell by looking/holding the package that it wasn't 3 pounds.

Math is one of my favorite things. I can't imagine not being able to apply to basic math to the little things in life. The potential for being taken advantage of is huge.

Comments (66)