SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceblois

Advice for staying on the good side of our GC and not getting screwed.

aliceblois
8 years ago

Okay...I definitely opened a can of worms with the last discussion on running the job myself and have dropped that dumb idea--I don't have the experience for it and my husband doesn't have the time. The GC is back in contact with us and we have a pre-contract meeting coming up next week.

Any advice from you GC's on how to be a model client? What can I do to stay on his good side and keep the project moving forward. What questions should we ask/avoid at the upcoming meeting?

Any advice from homeowners on pitfalls to avoid and how to protect us from being taken advantage of?

My two biggest concerns are #1 how to keep the project on schedule and #2 how to avoid unfair change orders.

The project is an unoccupied $350,000+ remodel on a 2,500 square foot 1950's view home in southern California. This is a home we plan to live in for the next 20 years hopefully. Nearly every room is having something done. Kitchen, laundry rooms being relocated. Walls taken down. Bathrooms being remodeled. New master bath being added on.

Pretty excited to get this going finally and hoping to be living there spring of 2016. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (17)