SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fredjmillard

3rd round floorplan critque.

Fred M
8 years ago

Sat down with the architect and worked up a 3rd revision of changes based on the great feedback we received.

We started this process at round 1, and made some great changes to make it to Round 2

So here we are in round 3......

Starting with the main floor, we decided to get rid of the soaking tub. Neither my wife or I are bath takers, and the kids will be getting baths in the upstairs tub, so we removed it and feel we have a nicer MBR. I want a toilet with a window, but we also have an option to have the sink with a window....my vote is for the toilet with the window.

The kitchen we took a little bit of dining room and a little bit of garage, and changed that wall to a 2x4, this will give us 3'6" between the island and the counter tops on either side. The cook top will move down a bit so we will have a full upper on either side of the stove. We will also have a large upper and an appliance garage flat against the wall on the counter with the sink. We removed the banquette, the space is big enough for a decent table and chairs, but we wanted to leave that spot flexible enough to figure out in a few years how to best utilize that space. Ultimately it may turn into a banquette or command center or what have you, but I think making that decision in a couple of years will make the most sense for us.

Upstairs. I am really excited about the changes we made up here. It gives us a bathroom with a little window. I wasn't really excited about the bath over the garage, but I think we will make sure for the plumbing we really insulate the floor and walls really really well. Moving the bath gave us two options for future storage/media/playrooms. It also made the loft area a little bit bigger and functional. The little closet outside the bath can become a laundry chute into the downstairs laundry room. Overall very happy with these changes. Bedroom #4 kid will be made to get dressed in the bathroom as to not put on a show.

Bonus pic of the front elevation. Change we made here was to decrease the pitch of the front facing peak. We had it matching the garage, but we feel this slope makes the house appear a bit wider and not so tall.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions. And to the folks who were in the situation of considering buying a stock plans and making some modifications, spend the little bit of extra money and work directly with a architect/draftsman. Taking our ideas working with an architect/draftsman has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. I am not saying that tweaking a stock plan is a bad way to go, but for our situation we would have not ended up with "our" plans without the help from here and the architect/draftsman.

Comments (16)