SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gladisaudi

Please help me list these roses by order of most sun tolerant.

gladisaudi
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am planting a border of roses and I need to plant by most sun tolerant. I live in Beirut and I am not sure how it translates into hardiness zones: Summer highs reach the upper 40 ºC (118 ºF) and winter lows only dip down to 4ºC (39ºF). The warm season starts in early April and sometimes lasts well into December with a few showers in the fall.

A building shades the area where I am planting the roses so these roses will get direct sun (slightly dappled by an olive tree at first) from 1 pm until 5.30-7.30 pm depending on the seasons, starting with the first rose. The last rose along the planting line will get an hour or two less of direct sunshine).

Here is the list of roses I have for this spot. It is about 13 meters long:

3 William Morris

3 Pat Austin

2 Golden Celebration

1 Heritage

2 Belle story

3 Gartentraume

2 Double delight,

2 Vendee Imperiale

1 Isabelle Autissier

1 Augusta Luise

Each set of 5-6 roses will be separated by a Gertrude Jekyll (x5), pegged down to fill up the background.

I do not have to plant all of these roses, and if some are not well suited for the spot I can get more of one kind or another. My keeping preference goes to the David Austins and the Gartentraumes.

Any ideas are welcome :)

PS. Or I might just plant the Gertrudes and fill up the spaces in between with Molineux and The Alnwick rose that I will have to buy bare rooted. The list I mentioned is all 2-3 year old roses.

Comments (18)