What Are Your Plans For Thanksgiving?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
Related Discussions
Cdn Thanksgiving... what's on your menu?
Comments (27)I am making a boneless turkey roll, spiral ham, potatoes. I made a cranberry sauce today and an orange-cranberry relish. tomorrow I'll make the mustard sauce. The rest of the family will be bringing veggies, salads and dessert. We will have around 30 here. Last Christmas I made the turkey roll in a cooking bag and it was so good. I can cook it in my garage in my portable oven - which frees up room in the kitchen and this year, reduces the heat! But...my local store doesn't carry those Reynold's bags anymore - WAHH...I am so disappointed. I live an hour away from a large city - so I am stuck. I LOVED using those bags for cooking the roast. Darn. I hope I come up with something to keep it from drying out. Happy turkey to all of you. PS. We are farmers and I wish our Thanksgiving was the first weekend in November not October. The guys are never done at this time of year - they have just started. it would be nice to really celebrate the harvest with a big feast - when the work is actually done....See MoreSo, what is your Thanksgiving Menu?
Comments (76)All your dinners sound delicious! Ours was just for 4 of us and I did an 11 pound turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed taters & gravy, sweet potato casserole, jiffy corn casserole, the green bean dish, fresh cranberries and the canned jelled cranberries. But instead of regular pumpkin pie, I made this pumpkin cream cheese dump cake that was so good! The only thing I would change with the recipe is to add a little more milk to the cream cheese layer so that it is easier to pipe. I had to glob mine on top of the pumpkin layer, but it was still perfect! The cake mix on top with the melted butter became a streusel type topping. PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE DUMP CAKE Ingredients: 8 oz. cream cheese 3/4 C. powdered sugar 2 tsp. milk 1 can (29 oz.) pumpkin puree 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk 3 eggs 1 1/4 C. sugar 1 tsp. salt 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice 1 yellow cake mix (dry) 1/2 C. butter, melted 1 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar mixture, optional whipped cream Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 X 14 pan. 2. Using a mixer (a KitchenAid or hand held) combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Set aside. 3. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour into prepared pan. 4. Put cream cheese filling into a small ZipLock bag, and snip off the tip the make a mini piping bag. Then pipe over the pumpkin filling (see photo). 5. Pour the dry cake mix over the cream cheese layer then poke holes using the end of a wooden spoon or a table knife through the cake mix until you hit the filling (not to the bottom of the pan). 6. Pour melted butter over the dry cake mix. 7. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the entire cake for extra flavor and crunch. 8. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is browned and an instead knife comes out clean. 9. Let cool and serve with whipped cream! (Store in fridge) Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin cream cheese dump cake...See MoreCanadian friends, what are you Thanksgiving plans?
Comments (14)Your posts have made me anxious for our Thanksgiving to get here. You will all have such a nice day with wonderful food and family. Pickyshopper, I don't know which holiday people travel "home" for in the States. Good question! Our family always gathered at Thanksgiving and it's still my favorite holiday. Cherryfizz, I was wondering if anyone was having butter tarts. They sounds so yummy! Blfenton, eight people is quite a few--or would be in our little house. Isn't it strange that both our countries have basically the same meal for Thanksgiving? We're all pretty smart--can't think of another meal that tastes better or smells better. Luckygardnr, you don't look old enough to have a grown daughter!!! Wow, what's your secret? Jasdip, (Miss Smarty in the top ten on the trivia game :-) I want to make your turnip puff and have the recipe but did you say you made it with rutabaga? I like rutabaga better, but wanted to double-check. Holy cow, Taigen, you're a better mom than I am. One turkey dinner is enough! I'd be tempted to freeze the leftovers and reheat. That's a lot of work, girl! Good luck with "the meeting" today. Wish I could be in your kitchens just to sniff today. Guess I just have to wait. Sigh!...See MoreHave You Planned Your Thanksgiving Meal?
Comments (145)WalnutCreek and M, here is that salad recipe. It's wonderful, and if there were any leftovers my girls would fight over them. Arugula Salad with Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts, and Parmesan 4 tbls olive oil 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto cut into strips 1 tbls raspberry jam 3 tbls fig balsamic vinegar 1/3 cup dried figs, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces 1 tbls finely chopped shallot 5 cups baby arugula 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted 2 oz Parmesan, shaved into thin strips 1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; add prosciutto and fry until crisp, stirring frequently for about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain and cool. 2. Whisk jam and vinegar in medium microwave-safe bowl; stir in figs. Cover with plastic wrap, cut several steam vents in plastic and microwave on high until figs are plump, about 45 seconds. Whisk in 3 tablespoons oil, shallots, 1/4 tsp salt; toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature. 3. Toss arugula and vinaigrette in large bowl; adjust seasonings with salt. Divide salad among individual plates; top with portion of prosciutto, walnuts, and Parmesan. I couldn't find arugula here, so I used baby spinach and it was very nice, now I use tht all the time. I didn't have shallots, so I left them out, it's good either way, and sometimes I use pecans, but walnuts are better. Thanks again, Cathy, for a great recipe, if you are out there somewhere lurking... Annie...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOLIDAYSYour Post-Thanksgiving Game Plan
Once you’ve recovered from the big day, take these steps to make welcoming the next round of holiday guests easier
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Tips for a Calm, Heartfelt Thanksgiving
Go easy on yourself this year and allow some breathing room to enjoy the holiday
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSet an Eclectic Thanksgiving Table
Think beyond orange pumpkins and leaves for your Thanksgiving decorations this year
Full Story
HOLIDAYSYour Guide to Stress-Free Thanksgiving Prep
We break down shopping, cleaning and cooking into manageable bites so you can enjoy yourself on the day
Full Story
DINING ROOMSMake Room for a Thanksgiving Crowd
Give your guests a place to dine, drink and mingle with new uses for your space and furniture
Full Story
HOLIDAYSA Thanksgiving Tradition to Last the Whole Year
Looking for a thoughtful yet simple way to capture your family's gratitude? Grab a jar and paper
Full Story
Get Thanksgiving-Ready with the Season's Best Picks
Deck out your dining room for a festive feast with 25 faves from top stores and catalogs
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZ3 Ways to Style a Thanksgiving Table
Get set with a traditional, modern or rustic look for your holiday feast
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Save on Thanksgiving Fun for the Family
Ideas to keep the whole family happily occupied on the big day
Full Story0

FALL AND THANKSGIVINGHouzzers' Tablescapes Capture the Thanksgiving Spirit
We feel blessed with abundance sharing all these wonderful, creative Thanksgiving table decorations by Houzz users
Full Story
glenda_al