SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Design Faux Pas at entry? Need input and critique!!

homey_bird
8 years ago

Dear Gardenwebbers,

We are embarking on a major addition to our home, and one of the items in my wish list is a formal entry, where we can receive guests/visitors and also leave our shoes and coats/jackets. We live in Northern California, so our warm clothing is pretty light, and so are our shoes. So no mud room type requirement, but removing shoes and walking barefoot in the house is more like a lifestyle choice (attributable to my Eastern roots).

After a lot of discussion, we are about to finalize a plan for entry and now I am getting goose bumps about it. On the plus side, I want a decent sized closet to remove/leave our shoes and coats, I want a staircase that is visible from the entry, though not gigantic in size, I want the bottom hallway (it's short; connects previously detached garage to the main house) to be there. The right of this entry looks into a small enclosed courtyard and will bring light.

Overall, there's much to be excited about. We expect that the wall of windows and the garden will create a pretty first impression. That said, the lack of symmetry in the space is what is causing me to doubt it. I also found no pictures of such asymmetrical entries. So I am turning to this forum for guidance.

- When you enter, you see an open railing and staircase behind, right in front of your eyes. (Devil's advocate: shouldn't your eye travel in straight line to living from entry?)

- To go to main Living, you must make a slight right turn and continue past staircase. (Devil's advocate: most pictures I see have a straight access to L/D. Will staircase look like it's in the way?).

- To your immediate right is a backwards hallway. Thus you must make a sharp U to go there (not that guests will want to, since that hallway leads to garage; but visually will it look odd?) (Devil's advocate: I've seen sideways access to other spaces, never such a sharp U).

These are the issues causing me distress now. Can you please help critique the design? Is this design a faux pas? (By the way, style of the house will be clean lines, stucco exterior but sloped roof).

Comments (17)