SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

too much filler

User
8 years ago

Anyone watch Dr Phil show recently. I turned the TV on today, since it is raining cats and dogs out there, and the show was on the channel. His wife Robin was talking. OMG she has so much filler in her cheeks, it makes her eyes so tiny like they are about to disappear. I am not against fillers or any type of plastic surgery, but why do some people go to the extreme and look ridiculous. Does she not see herself in the mirror?

Comments (127)

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I didn't find the laser under eye bit all that painful, but of course I was under a general anesthetic for the eyelid procedure anyway. After effects were minimal, but the main thing they told me to expect was itching when it started drying out and flaking, so I had ointment for that and was told to take Benadryl if it was really a problem. Cold compresses helped the first few days but I had those anyway because of the eyelids.

• busybee3
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I honestly don't know if I will ever have anything done... have seen a fair amount, and too often I personally don't think it was worth the risk involved- many times the woman comes out looking different but not necessarily better, imo...

I would have to be absolutely 100% confident that my doc and I were on the same page if I ever choose plastic anything... a few wrinkles, at this point at least, don't bother me... I actually enjoy the crinkly eyes, etc when an older person smiles at me-- people can look so much warmer and loving without (too) much work!!!

but, if I were in the public eye, hoping to impress people or get their votes, or needed surgery so I could continue working or to help my husband's career I would most certainly consider it----(I haven't focused so much on carly f's face-- what the heck did she do with her hair the other night so it didn't MOVE AT ALL!!??)

• Related Discussions

Filler needed for fridge: is 6' too much?

Q

Comments (1)
    We needed a filler and I found a great idea here on GardenWeb. Use the space to create a narrow pull out broom closet. My cabinet guy is making me one with pegboard inside to hang my broom, dustpan, and anything else I can be creative enough to put in there. Here is a link that might be useful: Filler broom closet
    ...See More

how much is too much? how much is too little?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks so much, Homebody! Although it has not ALWAYS been FUN, we have really enjoyed this house project. I hope your dream comes true very soon...and cannot wait to see pics of your home too! =) I have enjoyed hearing about this Beadboard Wallpaper. I am wondering if those of you who have used it think it will withstand the MAJOR moisture of our 2 young sons' bathroom??? Is this paintable so it can be sealed? I am worrying what the spattering and running drips of water near the pedestal sink will do to it over time if not 'sealed' with paint???? I am still curious about the 'rules' in my initial question as well as these points about beadboard wallpaper. Thanks for the input =)
    ...See More

Dancing with the Stars -- Finale!!

Q

Comments (26)
    DWTS ratings for that night beat both those for American Idol and The Voice. They were all down from the previous season `but DWTS was down only a tiny bit and their ratings were quite a bit higher than the other shows. I don't agree with the criticism of the producers going on and on about Amy's disabilities. I think that with the Boston bombings, returning soldiers with amputees, childhood accidents it is very important that we do understand that disabilities don't have to limit people in what they do or define them. I think that Amy and her tenacity (plus having to have a kidney transplant as well) show us that the lives of amputees and those with other disabilities must be respected and accepted. I don't think that always happens. Now the season with Chastity - that I thought was gratuitous BS and I didn't watch it.
    ...See More

Is 6' of filler for fridge too much?

Q

Comments (4)
    We have a similar problem though for a different reason---we are going to move the fridge as far to the cabinet side as clearances allow and keep a wider space open on the other side, using it for storing a stepladder and such. Rev-A-Shelf also makes fillers in 3" and 6" that others have stacked to use in spaces like this---I think that's a great idea, but DH didn't like the skinny look. Sadly we're not built yet so can't tell if it looks okay or show you....soon!
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I think it's a mistake for candidates to get too much botox. In order to look sincere, you need your facial expressions to match your words. With botox, that becomes impossible so they automatically come off as insincere or unfeeling. Better to have wrinkles and expressions than a frozen face.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

busybee, Carly's hair was atrocious, an orb helmet.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I ordered the wipes too. We should all be glowing in a few weeks! ;)

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Thanks, Allison. So putting on an anti-aging cream won't undo what the wipes do? I get really confused about when to use what.

I was wondering if this is happening in other towns, surely it is. As soon as most girls graduate from high school here, they go out and get breast enhancements. Does no one have natural breasts anymore? What I notice the most are the new breasts that look fake because of the tell tale gap between them. Just a little pet peeve of mine. :)

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Annie - There obviously is such a thing as 'too much work' done, but if you see someone with a frozen expression, then it is because they have just had the Botox procedure done. It does somewhat 'freeze' your ability to make a frown, for instance with your 11's, for a few days, but then the muscles relax and things are back to normal (sans the deep wrinkles of course). A side benefit is that for some, botox helps with migraines, at least temporarily.

I've definitely seen it with a few friends I know who have everything done at once - lips, eyes, whatever - and they look like they put on a frozen mask. Not for me, as I don't want that. But a touch around my eyes & cheeks now and then, spread over time, has made a difference. And a conservative doc who listens to what YOU want is key.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I'll be interested to hear how the wipes work out for everyone. Years ago I used to get glycolic acid peels at the dermatologist (covered by insurance!!!). I remember it stinging like lemon juice but seeing how long I could stand it. After a few days of sloughing skin, my face never looked better.

• User
    8 years ago

Linelle, I was surprised you didn't have to wipe off afterwards. It stings very little. Nothing like the 3% I had at the Drs office. None of us had any sloughing skin. It's mild but works.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Outside, I have a friend who has had good results with Botox injections for migraines. The injections are given in the base of her head. She was desperate!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Allison, I've never used the wipes, and that's why I'm curious to hear how they work for everyone. When I had the stuff at the doctor's, it was applied, we waited (ow, ow, ow) and then it was wiped/rinsed off. Maybe sloughing is the wrong term. Over the next week I had some rough, peeling areas.

• Anne
    8 years ago

I agree Robin has overdone it. Two years ago I had fillers (Can't remember the brand name) as a volunteer for a sales rep with a very good dermatologist. I had the L between my eyebrows and some lip plumping. The between the eyebrows was awesome and even though they said it was going to last 6 months it is still working. My lips probably lasted a year and were very natural looking.

I can see getting addicted....maybe body dysmorphia. Robin to me is getting less attractive.

When I went to the appointment which was gratis...I asked for my smile lines to be done and the doctor and the drug rep both said DO NOT DO IT. Faint smile lines make you look normal!

I can't afford to keep up the lips but when the brow L comes back I would save up to do that so I don't look angry. I am not angry, I just squint all the time because I have such awful vision even with glasses/contacts.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Botox was originally developed for the frown lines, because your central forehead moves relatively little and your brows move by other muscles as well. Getting around the eyes and mouth cause obvious looking paralysis (reduced expressiveness).

• User
    8 years ago

Annie - I use a derma roller and really like mine. It's improved my skin. Mine's now dull and I need to order another.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The other thing I notice when people get their cheeks filled too much is that the nose to mouth line, called the marionette lines, are deeper, not a very good look.

shee, how did the derma roll improve your skin. Does it not leave tiny prick marks on your skin? I would be afraid of infection.

• User
    8 years ago

Linelle, my derm has a cooling wand patients can use to keep the tingling down a bit. Out of the 6 times (2 sets of 3, two different years) I had it done, I only peeled once and it was very light and only near my nose.

• User
    8 years ago

That's what Robin looks like, a marionette! I haven't seen her in several years and didn't even recognize her in the anniversary video. Only her mouth and eyelids move. It's frightening.

• User
    8 years ago

Shout out to Allison .... I got the M-61 wipes, and I'm in happy shock. I don't know what's in them, but it's a miracle. I have never used anything on my face that made such a quick difference, and I've tried many products since I hit my 40s. Wow, just wow. It tingled going on (applied before bed), and the next morning, my skin looked better .... tighter pores, smoother, better color, healthier. I ran out of the bathroom to my husband, "Look at my skin! Look!" :D

I'm thrilled with these, thank you so much for recommending them. I'd pretty much given up on trying anything else.

I got free samples of eye creams, too, and love them. Under eye puffiness looks better, fine lines seem smoother. I'm a big fan of Blue Mercury now, thank you again!

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I also received my wipes. I got the magnifying mirror out last night (I've only used them twice so far) and the little pores on the tip of my nose are gone! I can't really tell anything else yet, but I've been using another product on my face the past month, Olay Reginerist, and it seems to be doing an okay job. I definitely like the wipes though.

MizGG, where did you order your's from? I ordered mine from Amazon but they came from Blue Mercury, and NO samples. Grrrr.

• User
    8 years ago

Oakley, I ordered from the Blue Mercury website. I was going to use our Amazon Prime, but it didn't qualify for free shipping, so I decided hey, I want the free samples (since shipping is the same). I was impressed by the selection of samples, it was hard to choose .... and also impressed by their customer service. I got several e-mails tracking my order, discounted offers on other items, etc.

• User
    8 years ago

So glad you liked them! I meant to come back to see if everyone/anyone had gotten theirs. Mine came a day early. I'm going to use 3 nights a week. I could tell the different the next day. I did my face, neck, upper chest and hands. The next morning when getting ready/make-up on, I thought "wow, my chest looks great!" then remembered I had used the wipe!

For my treat I got the M-61 Vitamin C must haves kit, and for the 3 samples I got the M-61 Vit A & C Eye, Skinceuticals SPF 50 and Trish McEvoy Beauty Balm. I really like the M-61 A & C Eye cream.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Well darn. Next time I'll use their site. I noticed this morning that my face is extremely smooth and soft. I put mine on the same places as you, Allison.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I will try that skin treatment. something happened to me between the age of fifty three and fifty five...as in a down hill slide. I don't really have wrinkles but the skin around my eyes is getting baggy and I always look tired. Well, I am always tired, will a treatment make me look less? I'm so discouraged over these resent changes I find I'm not taking as much care with myself. It's almost like what's the use I look freaking old.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I havent watch much of Dr Oz this fall. I used to watch him faithfully but his show seems to focus so much now on weight loss that I stopped watching. Anyway I saw a few minutes of his show last weeks and my the wrinkles under his eyes have gotten really bad since last spring, I wonder why so suddenly they changed?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I'm right there with you, justerrilynn. Baggy eye skin, looking tired all the time. I've also been dealing with a couple of physical ailments that leave me exhausted, and I've been feeling like I've become "broken down" all of a sudden. I know my overall health would improve if I could get back to working out, but I am either in too much pain or exhausted from the pain to work out. It's a Catch-22.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Allison, I'm going to place an order at BlueMercury for the wipes, thank you! I have a question, though: I picked my 3 samples, then the VitaminC "treat." When I put in the promo code for the VitaminC, another code showed up saying "BOGO." Does that mean I will get a second order of the wipes??

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I just ordered the wipes from BlueMercury as well. I was unable to get the three free samples to add to my cart -- I'd click one, go to click the next, and the page would instantly flash back to my cart. Very annoying. I was able to choose a free sample of a Moulton Brown product by typing in the code ORANGE, and it also displayed BOGO. Have no idea what that means, but I guess I'll see what arrives in the mail!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Doesnt BOGO mean you get one free?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

It does, but as it's appearing when the free samples are selected, it's not clear at all what you're getting for free. I'm doubting it's the wipes.

• User
    8 years ago

BOGO can mean anything. Buy X, get X free. Buy X, get X 1/2 price. Buy X, get Y and Z.

I've been using skin serum, "skinceuticals" and love my Vitamin C.

I'm very intrigued about these wipes. I hope to get to Blue Mercury this week to check them out.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Auntjen ~ Same here.. their web site is almost unusable.

I got the same BOGO.We'll both be surprised !

The only way I could get my cart to open was to right click over the shopping bag symbol then open in a new tab.

This is my second order. The same thing happened with my last order. I ended up with 3 of each sample ordered cuz I kept adding it to my bag !! And all three arrived !

Also for my free treat, I didn't know that the treat was connected to what you purchase...I ordered the Bobbi Brown although I didn't spend $50 on Bobbi Brown products.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

By the way "BOGO" was not displayed on my last invoice.It listed Bobbi Brown with a $0.00 charge.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I didn't have any trouble with the website. I didn't get the BOGO pop-up but I did get TWO of each of my three free samples. I got the eye cream also and two different overnight masks. I've used the wipes twice, also face, hands, throat, chest. I can't really see a difference but my skin gets tight and tingly after use. Almost a little sting, but I do have sensitive skin. I get no redness or anything, doesn't seem to dry me out. I've used both ingredients before. If need be, I'll go to twice a week rather than 3 times.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Tina ~ The BOGO didn't pop-up on my first order . Have you placed a second order ?

• amykath
    8 years ago

I am not sure if anyone has said this but after watching that video it is plain as day that she has had a facelift. The sides of her face look strangely thinned. She looks frozen in an odd way to me. It is very apparent she has done a great deal to her face. She would be much prettier if she had done nothing or maybe just a little bit as to where it was not as overwhelmingly noticeable.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree aktillery, fillers look good up to a certain point. I think Phil has some too but his is at least still natural to me anyway. She is way beyond that. When you watch them walk off together, all you notice when you look at her is her cheeks.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i wonder if those who go overboard with this type of body/facial alterations suffer from something similar to anorexia-- every time they look in the mirror they see ugly and old(instead of fat) and they want some 'control'...

that's the only way I can make sense of what some people do to themselves... maybe someday it will be a diagnosable body image category in the dsm_ .

• Danahills
    8 years ago

Why does society say we should all look like we're 21? I admire actors and actresses that I see in movies, etc, that have not had all this work done and look their age, or near their age.

• User
    8 years ago

I saw Christy Brinkley promoting her book, Timeless Beauty, on the Today Show.

The first things she offers as ways to look good as you age (like her) is nutrition, exercise, creams....yeah, right.

She's been getting great professional skin care and cosmetic procedures for years. She still looks good- not overdone. But please grrrrrl, don't tell me your secret is good genes and creams!

• User
    8 years ago

Interesting thread! I watched the video of Mrs. Dr. Phil and to me, she looks awful. She either looks like she is taking a protracted treatment of prednisone or is a toddler with a metabolic disorder. Or has been to her "esthetician" about ten too many times. The heart painting was equally unbearable....the whole thing was just embarrassing.

i have very mixed feelings about plastic surgery, Botox, and other injections. I agree with Pal that most women who have / do it don't look younger, they look like women their age who have had work done. At 59 I know there are many aspects of my appearance that could be improved, changed, or enhanced, but I can't get past the feeling that it is somehow inherently unfair. I don't know that it makes much sense, because I don't think it is wrong and certainly know people who have had great work and look wonderful. But.....I AM 59.... why must I feel as though that's not good enough, or young enough? My mother has offered me all kinds of treatment packages from her people and I just can't make myself do it. The thought of having a foreign substance injected in my face makes me feel sick!

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

And I don't mind saying I am 55yo. I just want to look and feel my best. I don't do manicure, pedicures or massages. I do not have a clothes, shoes or handbag fetish. I don't even have a product fetish. :D I always have been and always will be a house person.

Oh, my goodness - YES. I'm 53 and am still not quite sure how I arrived at this age practically overnight, but it happened and I'm glad to be here. I do sometimes fret over the fact that I feel I've started to look tired, but I also know how to remedy that and it's my own fault for not getting after it. I sometimes think about having something done about the frown lines between my eyes that are starting to become more and more visible, but then I just go get my bangs trimmed and all's right once more in my world. I don't do manicures, pedicures or massages either. (My last massage experience was horrifying - had a brute of a therapist who coldly told me I had "control issues" because I couldn't make myself relax under her beefy hands!) I do like to have a couple of new articles of clothing and shoes with each season, but I am not and will never be a fashionista. Just don't care enough about that sort of thing. But my home? Yes, my home is where I always have invested and focused, and I can't see that changing - no matter how much deeper these lines go.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have been thinking about a little filler under my eyes (I am reading it is the most tricky part to fill which really scares me) not to look younger, but I feel I am starting to look a little tired. I am 61, I am still pleased with the way I look in a lot of ways, I have great skin, very fit, and pretty silver color hair as I am always complimented on those things, but those darn under eye circles really bother me. I think the worse look more than wrinkles in anyone, is a tired look.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to report back on the BlueMercury wipes now that I've used them twice, both at bedtime. After the first use, I didn't really notice a difference in my skin, aside from a little zit that had popped up in the middle of my nose. Lovely. Following the second use, however, I really do think my skin looked clearer, brighter, and felt smoother. I can't really tell if the effects are temporary, but I'm hoping they'll be cumulative with further use of the product. I do like the wipes. They don't sting me or make me turn red at all (but definitely keep them away from your eyes).

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Jen, I've been using mine every other night for two weeks now, and my face is as smooth and soft as a baby's bottom. But...I was given a head's up by a friend about Olay's Reginerist which I've been using for a few months. So I don't know which one is making my face smooth.

I need better lighting to see if my face is brighter. As for wrinkles...I have little one's but it seems I can tell the crease I have on each side of my chin have filled in just a tad. That I like!

The key to better looking skin is Retinol and exfoliating. And eye creams, lotions, moisturizers, and.... lol.

• User
    8 years ago

Auntjen, I've been using them 3x a week for 10 days now. I can definitely tell a difference, and since I've been using the same moisturizers, etc I know it's the wipes. The only new cream I've used since getting the wipes is the M-61 A&C Eye Cream.

I'm with you - no needles, botox or fillers for me. I have very small, basically none, lips. But you couldn't pay me enough to plump them up!

Previously, the PA at my derm said the best thing for under eye circles is filler. Um, no thank you. Mine really aren't dark on a daily basis, but only when I haven't had enough sleep which is rare. I've started going to bed early when need be, instead of staying up too late when I have to get up before the crack of dawn the next day. And by "early," I mean 7:30-8pm sometimes.

My derm now has Exilis Protege. Has anyone done this?

• HU-45475559
    2 years ago

She should admit or fess up to more than an eyebrow lift!! She looks awful, and her eyes have almost clised permanently due to all her attempts to look younger and sell us her Beauty Supplies and Advice!!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Since this old thread was revived, I looked at Robin's IG account. In most of her photos, it looks like her head has been photoshopped onto someone else's body. That is not the case, just an opinion. Yes, too much work is never a good thing.

• OllieJane
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yeah, Robin looks horrible-too much work done. Filler is scary, IMO. Unless it is done in tiny, tiny increments, it never looks good and people can almost always tell you've had filler. I have a really good girlfriend, who is just gorgeous, or use to be, but the last couple of years, she looks full of filler-I just don't get it. She already had veneers put on her teeth years ago-not good either-and she just looks so fake now. She was just so pretty, it's sad.

• olychick
    2 years ago

This whole thread makes me feel sad about women and how so many feel about aging.