SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halocline

First Attempt - Container Grown "Sharp's Pygmy" Japanese Maple zone 5b

halocline
8 years ago

Hi all,

I've decided to try and make this Acer Palmatum the main stay on my balcony; instead of spending a bunch of money each year on annuals, hanging baskets and such.

I've never owned a deciduous tree before, and I'm concerned about the continuous overwintering of the tree in a container; without a garage or any unheated space.

Since I bought it at the end of this Summer, I've decided to leave it in the nursery pot until Spring, and mulch it as a pot in pot set up with a 3.5mm plastic wind break.

So...... What I've done, is, obtained a rather large pot and some insulation (which I'm not sure will make a difference).

So I insulated the outside of the pot, and put a layer in the center around where the tree will set. Then I put mulch in the center up to where the bottom of the tree will be, then filled the rest of the pot up to the top.

From here, I inserted some garden stakes around the outside of the pot, pushed the tops through holes cut in the plastic, surrounded the tree and secured the ends of the plastic with staples. This way, the plastic can be slid up & down on the stakes.

I'm going to keep it in the corner over by the chimney.

I want to repot it into this same large container next year, I'm just not sure how to maintain it, other than root pruning the tree every 2-3 years; which will be a huge job.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? If so, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments (12)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner