SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakiris

Once again...Japanese Maples in Colorado??

oakiris
12 years ago

I know I should stick to plants that are "made" for the conditions here, but unfortunately, I really like Japanese Maples. Colorado is certainly not an ideal place for them - too arid, too windy, too much intense sunlight, soil too alkaline, and winter temps are probably are too low.

I have killed almost all of the one's I've tried, despite giving them protection from afternoon sun, wind, etc. It's getting to be an expensive obsession, like most obsessions and addictions!

I do have two unknown green leaved cultivars that are still doing fine after several years - both are small (well, one is tiny, only about 10" tall and probably 10 years old!) but seem to do quite well so I know that some JM's will survive here despite all of the environmental conditions lined up against them. I would love to add a red leaved or variegated specimen to my "collection."

I am wondering if anyone in the Denver metro area has had success with growing them; they seem to be available at most of the nurseries here but I haven't actually seen them growing in anyone's yard - which should tell me not to try growing them either, but I am apparently not yet willing to listen! Please let me know with which cultivar/s and under what conditions you have had success with these wonderful, graceful, colorful trees.

Holly

Comments (17)