SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmkx

My journey finding someone who will waterproof my shower

xmkx
8 years ago

Am I the only person who has problems finding a pro to waterproof their shower using the recent products out there? My shower pan is leaking again. I've had a lot of problems with my shower leaking so we are starting from scratch. Tearing the whole thing down and building it the right way.

I've stopped and started this project along the way because I get so tired of asking the same question and having the contractor look at me like I'm crazy or at minimum looking surprised that I know enough to ask the question "How do you waterproof a shower?" I've asked a few acquaintances that are contractors and they've told me that they put in a vinyl pan. They do nothing for the wall. So needless to say, I did not go any further and ask them for an estimate.

So far, I have spoken to two people to ask for estimates. The first guy uses laticrete (either hydroban or 9235 fabric membrane) on the walls and uses a vinyl pan for the floor. Not sure why he does not use laticrete for the floor too but he has me hopeful. He is obviously on my list of potential people to hire because he actually waterproofs the walls. I spoke to another contractor today and he tells me that he uses cement board on the shower walls because it is waterproof. I tell him that it's not. As you can imagine, he is not happy with me. I ask him what he uses on the wall for a steam shower, he tells me that he uses sheet rock and there is no other way to waterproof the walls. I list of a few things that will -- laticrete, ditra, redguard, etc. He says goodbye to me.

I have a few more people coming to give me estimates. Wish me luck. Thank you for letting me vent.

Comments (43)