SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pemfan

Field Research on 30" gas ranges (follow up to pemfan's dilemma)

pemfan
8 years ago

I was able to scout out a bunch of all gas 30" ranges in person today, with tape measure in hand. Here's my field report:

1. Frigidaire Pro. Not bad overall. Nicer grates compared to the ranges it competes with. Toned down electronics compared to the Electrolux. I wonder why they went with storage drawer vs. warming drawer.

2. Electrolux IQ. I wanted to love this one. But the huge screen and the ugly OTR, both covered with letters and numbers, were a turn off.

3. Saw the Smeg. Not bad looking. Cool wok ring. That they pair it with a bad OTR (as opposed to the convection otr built to withstand heat), is (perhaps oddly) a disincentive to me.

4. Viking 3. Not loving those huge knobs but otherwise seems pretty good. I find myself drawn to a griddle. (I've Never had 5 burners before.) I ruled out the Viking 5 (had one from '07), as I don't want to put so much oomph under an OTR).

5. Fisher and Paykel. Not bad looking. 4 burners. Stainless top (not ceramic) is not a look I am used to. Don't know the rep of this stove. They include the correct OTR with this one. Is it me or is the inside of the oven wide and short?

6. The new Kitchenaid. This one looks pretty attractive because they put the electronics on a panel on the top, so the face looks clean and simple. I opened and closed the baking drawer and the drawer didn't shut well. Salesman was not keen to sell this one.

The F&P pair comes out to $2K less than the Viking pair (when you count the OTRs). Tempting. Anyone care to comment on Viking 3 vs F&P? Is buying Viking today a fool's errand?

Comments (14)