SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_mei

Range Hood CFM Dilemma

Kevin Mei
7 years ago

Just wanted to say I did my research so, while choosing my hood, I specifically looked for hoods that were 6" larger than the range.I am planning to get a Samsung NX58K9850SS or Samsung NX58H9500WS. I understand there are calculations that could be done to determine a minimum required CFM. Based on either one of these models, assuming the worst case scenario, 61,000 BTU, which means I would need a 600 CFM fan. However, there should be a demand factor, I don't see myself using all the burners, but I'm assuming I would be using (2) front burners, and (1) of the rear ones for boiling, which gives me about 47,000 BTU.

I am planning to get a Samsung NX58K9850SS or Samsung NX58H9500WS. I understand there are calculations that could be done to determine a minimum required CFM. Based on either one of these models, assuming the worst case scenario, 61,000 BTU, which means I would need a 600 CFM fan. However, there should be a demand factor, I don't see myself using all the burners, but I'm assuming I would be using (2) front burners, and (1) of the rear ones for boiling, which gives me about 47,000 BTU. So a 600 CFM fan does look like it would be enough for me.

My concern is that I do cook greasy food or where there will be a strong odor. I cook a lot of Asian food, using a Wok. Also, I will be stir-frying and use the grill/griddle. Based on reading through threads on this site and other forums, many people recommend over 600 CFM for any Wok cooking/Asian style of cooking, including curry, etc.

I will have a semi-open kitchen to the living room and there is a hallway that leads to the bedroom. I really want to make sure the odors do not get too far away or stay in the space for too long.

My house is 1,000 sf. The kitchen is around 400-500 sf.

I am looking at the following hoods and understand capture area is important and is a compromise between aesthetics and performance:

- Broan Elit E60000 Seriies E60

- Broan EPD6136SS

- Zephyr Power Tempest II Series AK7535A SX

- Elica Aspire Leone Series ELN136SS

- Elica Aspire Calabria Series ECL630S2

- Elica Aspire Titan Series ETT136SS

Most of them are 24-25" deep, which I know will not cover all the effluent with a 14"-16" wok from the front burner, but I think they should be fine. I did an approximate calculation of the cone shape based on Kaseki's recommendations, and it goes over by maybe an 1"-2" max.

If you have any experience with the above, it would be great if you can give me your input.

I know make-up air will be an important aspect to higher CFM and is also based on local codes. I live in New York. Not sure if 600 CFM will require it.

I am leaning towards the Elica Leone. It has a chimney and is not a typical flat top. It also has baffles. That was also one of the criteria of my searches, as I really am not a fan of mesh filters.

I hope someone can lead me the right direction on whether 600 CFM will be enough. This isn't a luxurious kitchen or high-end one. I just want to make sure I have a functional one and have some aesthetics to it. Most of the hoods I've chosen are to my liking, however.

tldr;

Did my research, have a dilemma, and wish to get others' input. Do I really need more than 600 CFM for Asian-style cooking? Does 600 CFM need make-up air in NY, if 600 CFM is enough? Any experience with the hoods list?

Comments (5)