SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maven19

What would you cut?

maven19
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are finalizing the plans for our new home and are looking to cut about $3,000-$5,000 of cost off the plan to make sure we stay below the jumbo loan line. The two options we've come up with are to cut the wet bar in the basement (the plans call for a single row of cabinets, built-in sink, granite counter tops and space for mini fridge, which I'm guesstimating to cost around $3000?) or to seed the large backyard instead of sodding it.

We already have a plans for a butler's pantry with wine storage and a wine fridge in the dining area, which will be frequently used. Our basement is pretty small and I can't image doing much entertaining in it. But I am wondering for resale purposes down the road if a wet bar is a "must have" for many buyers.

The other place we could cut is not to sod the backyard, but to seed it instead. We'll be moving in in July and have kids who will want to plan in the backyard, so I'm a little hesitant to do this, but obviously this won't affect resale in the long run.

Or perhaps we need to do both?

Comments (19)