SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Rowhouse Reno: Snaffu Edition - What Item Would You Cut?

Danielle Gottwig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We just pulled the trigger on beginning our renovation. I'll begin a thread to post details so that everyone can see how much of a fool I am. :) I need the dust to settle and my cell phone to charge.

Here's the biggest surprise we found during demo: there's an obstacle I was planning to remove to make my floorplan work. And it turns out, I cannot remove it.

At the end of the wall against which I was planning to use to build one side of the kitchen, there was a bump out. I couldn't get to it in days past as it was blocked by a defunct washer/dryer I couldn't move and two walls. Long story. Anyway, it looked like drywall that might be housing some plumbing.

It's not what I thought: it is a column of masonry with drywall over it.

Consequently, I have a 14.5" wide, 12.5" column eating some of my plan.

So we're going to decide what we want to nix. What would you cut?

Here's the original plan for the "range side" of my galley kitchen, with a little bit 'o' everything:

Refrigerator || 18" wide pantry || 30" upper, lower cabinets || 30" range || 30" upper, lower cabinets || compact washer/dryer set.

Here's one possible modification:

I cut out the 18" pantry. I move everything else over 18".

I then add a 15" wide, 11" deep pantry cabinet to the end. This would sit in front of my masonry column. I would get the 11"D pantry by hacking a tall ikea cabinet with fixed shelves.

Pros: My gear + pots and pans storage is intact.

Cons: I just lost pantry storage. (But there is more - in a narrow, 30" base cabinet on opposite run.) The sink is now closer to my range. Maybe it also looks less good to have no buffer between the fridge and everything else? We might be able to fix that by putting a small box over the very tall tall fridge, and attaching a side panel. The box probably won't accept an ikea door, however.

Here's another possible modification:

Cut the widths of the base cabinets and planned pantry, so that the planned run of cabinets stops prior to the masonry column. Maybe I also build something in front of the masonry column.

Pictured below is: Same refrigerator || 15"w pantry || 24" upper, lower cabinets || 30" range || 24" upper, lower cabinets || washer, dryer stack || space

Pros: Pantry still mostly there.

Cons: I really wanted bigger drawers on either side of the range for pots and pans. But maybe 24" will do it. I can't have glass doors in this version, because doesn't make them for a 24" upper cabinet.

Comments (24)