SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Can we talk insurance companies (home/auto) again?

lkplatow
8 years ago

I am considering switching insurance companies. Several years ago, I switched based on a thread here to Anpac --- I like them but for the past 2 years they have raised the homeowners rates a lot even though we have never filed a claim. I have comparison shopped with Travelers and Allstate and got a fairly similar price from Travelers (couple hundred bucks cheaper) but a huge savings with Allstate. I am seriously considering switching to Allstate but there are some pretty unfavorable reviews online -- reports of them not paying claims or charging a claim against your account when it was just an inquiry (like "a tree fell on my fence - do you cover that?"). I guess any big company like that is going to have some unhappy customers but I couldn't find any negative reviews for Anpac.

Allstate has some nice stuff like claim forgiveness and an accident-free discount. They also have this thing they put on your car that monitors your driving and gives you additional discounts if they decide you are a "safe" driver -- not sure if I would do that or not, but the option is there.

Does anyone have any experience with Allstate, Travelers, or another insurance company that you like?

(each year we get a significant rebate (25%) from Anpac for being 3-years claim free -- which makes it kind of hard to compare apples to oranges -- but Allstate's rates seem cheaper than Anpac even with the rebate factored in. And of course, if we ever file a claim, we lose the rebate for 3 years. Also if we switch then want to switch back, we'll lose the rebate for 3 years so I really want to be sure before switching.)

Comments (25)