SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ack150

Am I totally off base in this tiling idea for the shower?

Anne CK
8 years ago

Okay, so am I missing something here (entirely possible). I'm tiling my shower with white beveled subway tile, with horizontal offset brick below a chair rail, and horizontal herringbone above. It is a shower that is replacing an existing 60"x36" tub, with three walls. I am not putting up a shower door immediately, but my intent is to put in a hinged door, with the hinge affixed to a tiled wall (as opposed to hinging on a short panel of glass). The chair rail I am using is very deep (about 1-1.5 inches), and because of this, and the fact that I am looking to hinge to wall, I want to end the chair rail back from the edge of the door, so that the hinge is un-impeded. So, I had the idea to put a row of 3x6 subway tiles running parallel behind the bullnose, which gives the chair rail a clear stopping point that is set back from the end of the shower, and clearance for a door to be installed later without having to do anything crazy.

Is this completely off? I seem to have confused the tile people by suggesting this, as they have just seen the glass panel affixed into the chair rail (with the chair rail cut into a 'stop', I think they called it?). I'm just looking to create this 'stop' further back, so that it visually makes sense.

Comments (3)