SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merritt_kirkpatrick

Neighbor cut down four healthy shade trees

Merritt Kirkpatrick
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

When my husband and I purchased our house six years ago one main contributor was all of the large shade trees in our yard and our next door neighbor's. We have always gotten along with him fine. However, yesterday he cut down four huge (healthy) shade trees and now our backyard is completely exposed. I have lots of shade-loving plants back there that are now in full sun. Although directly behind us is a park, the rest of the neighborhood is pretty congested and we can see into several neighboring houses.

There is an empty lot between our house and his, which was full of these lovely trees. My husband has picked up from him that he just did not want to have to rake leaves each fall. We are planning on planting some arborvitae along the property line between our houses, but I want a shade tree in the back corner of our yard.

When I brought up the subject my husband says that he does not want to start a war with him--so nothing with excessive leaves in the fall. I suggested an evergreen of some sort, but he does not want anything with a lot of needles.

I am really at a loss as to what would be good in this spot. I don't want anything that grows more than 10 feet in diameter, while not upsetting the neighbor (or my husband!). We are located in Eastern Massachusetts, in zone 6. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)