SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hath

Can Andersen Finelight grilles be removed?

8 years ago

Hi All,

Just when you think you're in the clear with a home renovation project, you go on auto-pilot and not only order the wrong configuration of grilles for (all) your new windows but also the wrong type of grille as well. I've just received 13 Andersen 400 series replacement windows and knew as soon as I pulled them out of the box that my choice of single vertical and horizontal grids was completely wrong. To boot, my wife thought we were getting raised grids rather than Andersen's Finelight option that has the grids between the glass.

I won't bore everyone with the miscommunication details but the fault is mine.

Here's my question: is there any DIY way to remove the Finelight grids from these windows? My thought was that if I was able to remove the interior grids, I might have a shot at ordering detachable grids for the inside and outside faces. But I'm fairly sure that even the most bare bones 400 series model, which I ordered, has argon gas between the panes. So my fear is that even if I could get in there and remove the grids, I'd create condensation issues down the road. From a brief call with an Andersen rep, it sounds as if they're only held in by grooves inside the edges of the frame.

I'm sure the answer is there's no way around this but wanted to throw it out in case anyone had any suggestions. Other options might be:

1. Even though they're custom sizes, with weird grids, and black on the outside, white on the inside to boot. Maybe there's some resale market for them (still in the boxes) to offset the cost of ordering anew? Doubt it.

2. Install the windows but order just replacement sashes with the correct options down the line. Not sure how much is saved by doing that, guessing not a lot.

3. Be a trendsetter. Make it a talking point. Accept that I'm an idiot and learn the lesson to never make huge purchases at 8PM at Home Depot while running on fumes.
All that being said, I'm pretty handy and if there's a DIY way to make it happen, I'm open to it.

Thanks all!

Comments (2)