SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_ball

Update on Picea Omorika

Nick Ball
8 years ago

Ok. so a couple of weeks ago, I posted about my ailing Siberian Spruce which looked like this:

About two weeks ago it turned into this:

So, I went back to the nursery. And they gave me a credit for a new one. I dug up the root ball of my dead tree in the picture, and it looked like this:

I don't know if this picture offers any clue as to what happend to my tree. But I'm hoping maybe somebody here has some clues. Upon digging up the root ball, the soil seemed slightly moist. Not like wet or muddy like. But you could form it easy with your hands. And it was cool, like a moist coolness I guess you could say.

I fear I may have overwatered it. I would honestly just give it a good deep watering every few days and hold off it rained. I've heard people say to stick your fingers in the soil and feel for wetness. But I don't understand what would constitute as a wet soil. Would the soil characteristics I described above define wet soil? Or is it more of a wet/muddy feel?

I planted the new Picea Omorika slightly higher and I'm going to hold off on watering once a week which is what the lady at the nursery told me to do. I really hope this tree works out in this spot. I can't wait to watch it grow.

Comments (15)