SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragrancenutter

Marie Pavie and Reine des Violettes in pots

fragrancenutter
8 years ago

I don't normally grow roses in pots as I like to grow them nice and big in the ground. I have kept Marie Pavie in the pot as it seems to stay very low and the flowers are easier to be appreciated when it is elevated in a pot. Also it seems to get less thrips attack when elevated away from the ground.

Reine des Violettes got left in a pot as there seems to be mixed reports about the performance of this rose and I didn't want to commit a permanent spot in the garden until I am happy with it.

Both roses seem happy in pots but I must say Marie Pavie has a nice musky perfume to my nose and is a frequent repeater throughout the year so she's definitely staying. Reine des Violettes flowers well in Spring but does not repeat well in the other seasons and I cannot seem to detect any fragrance from this rose even though some forum members reckon this is one of their most fragrant roses. I guess I have a different nose. People who can smell this rose likens her fragrance to the Violet. I do grow the sweet Violets and I can smell them fine but not this rose. I will keep her in this pot until she is no longer happy and I don't think I will grow her again as fragrance is very important to me. The flowers of Reine des Violettes develop a purple outer ring as they age. They are at their best when the temperature is cool as hot sun can scorch these blooms quickly.

Here are their Spring blooms:

Marie Pavie

Reine des Violettes

Comments (9)