SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idiotsavant

Grubs!

idiotsavant
8 years ago

My front lawn is infested with these suckers.

Two weeks ago I noticed large brown patches in my lawn. Wanted to reseed so I decided to dethatch. Well, the grass came right up, like carpet, and these guys were everywhere. Went to Home Depot and bought liquid concentrate killer and spayed the areas. Believe I used Spectracide with triazicide. Fast forward to today and they're still very much alive. So now that it is mid-October I have some questions...

First, should I reapply the insecticide? There's still a bunch of these things towards the surface.

Second, how long after applying should I wait to reseed? I actually called the hotline and they recommended I wait 21 days. But they also told me that if I used the granular I could seed and sod in 48 hours. Is this accurate? If I need to wait 21 days then I will obviously need to wait until spring to reseed.

Third, is it now too late to reseed anyway? I'm in the North Jersey area. Going to use Scotts Sun and Shade Mix.

Fourth, should I rake up the dead grass or leave it be? The brown spots are devoid of roots. I'm guessing those areas are a lost cause and if I'm reseeding I should just take them out? But the areas around the brown spots still have grubs, but there seems to be SOME green grass and roots. Are these salvageable? Or should I rip it up and reseed?

Thanks!

Comments (4)