SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
habiem_gw

Grubs, Grubs, Grubs...

habiem
16 years ago

I have identified the problem in my lawn described in the thread posted here.

It's grubs. I dug up a few patches of grass and found grubs right under the grass in numerous spots. Within a 6" x 6" area, I was easily able to find 2-3, without looking hard at all. I had a Japanese Beetle infestation earlier this year, so I'm assuming there's a relation.

So, the question is - what to do at this point. Earlier in the year, when I had my Japanese Beetle problem, I purchased some nematodes from a place that someone on here recommended. I put them down the day they arrived - that was in mid-July. However, my understanding is that the nematodes kill the larvae, but not the full-grown grubs, so perhaps it was too late at that point.

Should I go a chemical route (grub-x) at this point, or have I missed my opportunity to take care of them this year? Just count on the nematodes to take care of the problem for next year?

I've worked hard on eradicating the chemicals from my lawn-care arsenal and really don't want to kill any of the little beneficial soil guys I've been growing all year!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (17)

Sponsored