SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perfectusinfinitusvita

Mediterranean Garden

Hello Everyone. I have been reading this forum for about a year now, but this is my first post. I just got a house, and the yard is kind of a blank slate, and there's one corner out front that I would like to build a garden with mediterranean type herbs...rosemary, lavender, thyme, french tarragon; that sort of thing. Obviously the main issue here in central Florida is the copius amounts of rain we get (I live in the Ocala area, Zone 8b-9a), especially for lavender, which seems to be notorious for not doing well here. To get around this issue, I had an idea to build a stone raised bed, and fill it with a fast draining soil like citrus and cactus mix, in order to prevent over-soaked roots. This particular spot gets full sun pretty much all day, from sun up to sun down. So my question is, would this raised bed with citrus soil be too MUCH drainage? Or would a raised bed in this spot even be necessary? The existing soil there seems to have a high(ish) sand content, and there was a sand spur patch there that i pulled up, which tells me it's a dry spot, and it's next to a water retention easement, which means there is a slope next to it, so i'm a little torn as to what to do. I don't mind going out there and doing some regular watering in the drier months if it means my wonderful herbs won't drown in the summer and I can actually have some thriving lavender.

Comments (9)