SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Tiny Dogs: Do Some Really NOT Know When They Need To GO?

Nancy in Mich
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Lizzy is an eight to ten year-old Mini Dachshund. We have had her almost three years now, and she has always pooped in the house, but usually made it to the pad we keep for her in the laundry room. Or she will go to the patio door in the evenings and then look back at us to let us know she wants to go out.

Lately, though, she has pooped much less predictably. Two or three times this week she has pooped before even getting to the door. This is especially problematic because I use an electric recliner chair and the motor only goes so fast. I can't rush to get her any faster than the motor in my chair will let me down!

DH gets angry at times and spouts off, "No more small dogs! I have had enough of this Small Dog Syndrome!" He has read that small dogs are harder to train to go outdoors for elimination. It is not even cold here yet, the temperature is in the high 50s. So it is not that she does not want to go out at all. It is almost like she does not start for the door with enough time to get there - and then get us there. Twice, she has not even made it there herself.

Also, this dog may be 13 - 14 years old. I was told that she was 11 when I adopted her. Recently, the vet subscribed to a pet medical record site and they had her age as 6 when I visited Lizzy's page. When I asked about this, they checked her records and they had her as 6 and 8 years old in her chart. I asked the vet to estimate her age, and she said 8 to 10.

So, Mini Doxie people, is this the norm? Or should I assume that something is wrong and have her checked out? That is a lot of spine there, and not controlling bowels well could be a neuro thing.

Comments (23)