SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casey_nelson7946

Thinking of killing and regrowing my lawn, need advice.

Casey Nelson
8 years ago

I'm a new homeowner in Illinois and I have no clue how to take care of a lawn. That said, I'd like to try to get my lawn in a decent, not show quality, but happy place. I've lived in this house for 2 years and the first year I only spot treated a few dandelions and broad-leaf weeds but this year it REALLY got out of control. I have about 4-5000 sq feet of lawn and I'd say 80% of it has vining kinds of weeds like clover, creeping charlie, indian strawberry, english daisy, you name it and we have a problem with it!

I bought some of the scott's grass seeds with water smart technology earlier this season but ended up not using it because I decided to take care of the weed problem first.

So I'm thinking of spraying the whole yard with a non-discriminating weed killer now since it's fall and starting from scratch. I'd like to do this without spending a ton of cash so any advice I could get would be great. I've read all kinds of things on the internet but I honestly can't afford truck loads of fertilizer/sod/soil etc. I was thinking of just killing everything off then aerating/leveling off with new soil and spreading seeds. I don't have a watering system so I'd just have to move a sprinkler around until everything is watered.

Should I reseed before winter or after or both? Is there any relatively inexpensive fertilizers or products I should use to help my success? I ran into an issue with using weed prevention before seeding last year, making my seed useless so I'm not sure what my timing should be to help prevent the same issues next year?

Again, any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (4)