SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawnkiller1

Need advice for my dying lawn

lawnkiller1
13 years ago

My lawn is dying, please help. I live in Washington state. I had a huge area of red lava rock that I tried digging out - 2 truckloads. After digging out most of the rock, I bought rolls of sod (from Lowe's - I have no idea what kind of sod) and laid them down in the area. Part of the area had a path with pea gravel previously. Since it was small rock, I didn't dig it out.

The grass started out as a beautiful emerald green. The established grass there looked light green beside it. Soon, the area that I had covered over the pea gravel path turned yellow, exactly where the path had been. The whole area under a large Japanese maple also turned yellow. Very little of that rolled out sod seems to be living. I rolled up some of the yellow areas and put down sod on top the pea gravel and under the other yellow areas. There are a ton of worms under there! The sod does not appear to be helping - it has been about two months and the area has turned from yellow to brown. The whole area looks like a dead zone.

1. I didn't mow it right away after putting it down.

2. I could have watered it more in the summer. It gets pretty hot here. Now we are getting torrential rains so I don't think water is the problem.

It must be something else - maybe I need to fertalize it?

Please help. I didn't know it was possible to kill grass. I'll never been able to kill it out of my flower bed areas.

Can anything be done to save this lawn?

Comments (3)