SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Sears Laundry Detergent

mamapinky0
8 years ago

Its been awhile since we've discussed this detergent and thought I'd bring the subject up. Some of us, ok a lot of us have and try different detergents. There's also been a few people that have stopped in asking about economy /cheaper detergents, I usually recommend Sears powders. They do have enzymes and are a terrific value,on sale you can often get the green box for 20$ for 275 loads, that's a bargain for a detergent with enzymes. Sears sells a green box, a orange box, which I've never figured out the difference, a blue box with oxi and a pink box with Added Fabric Softener. They all have a very light citrus scent. They also have one called Kenmore that is Sears Free and clear.I have them all except the Free and clear. They are all labeled HE low sudsing, which they are, P&G could take a lesson on this point from Sears. I have a traditional top loader so obviously I need to use more, but even using 2 scoops, (1scoop is recommended for a FL) its still a bargain. But does it actually clean? For me it does, but I have soft water. I think the secret to having success with Sears detergent is you either need mechanically or chemically softened water, unless your washing light to moderate soils. I haven't had any issues with it disolving, but I wash in hot or very warm water. In a nut shell I find Sears detergent to be very good, but spiked with STPP IMO its excellent, I rarely ever pretreat yet this removes all my stains, in fact most of the time when I prewash I use the Sears detergent. Have you tried this detergent? Also it will be interesting to know if you used it with mechanically or chemically softened water.

Comments (32)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Mich..I do want to say though...even TOL detergent can struggle to remove odors from work out clothes, which I wouldn't consider to be in the mild to moderate soil range lol. I've done a lot of filthy stinky sweaty *I've worked in the garden all day in Pennsylvanias 90degree and 100% humidy* and I always prewash these sort of clothes with Sears detergent first, I've noticed dirt and grime is gone but the clothes still have a trace of body sweat..if I prewash with the same sears with STPP they are clean and fresh smelling. My water 1gpa. That's why I said above it does great on mild to moderate soils but needs help with heavy soils..like body odors. Lol. However I've noticed many people using a TOL detergent need help with odors in work out clothes.

• Related Discussions

For fans of Sears HE laundry detergent...

Q

Comments (73)
    I have 4 different varieties of the Sears...someone stop by with a truck and you can tak99% of it. I can't use all of this. I have never had a problem with this stuff disolving in my TL'ers. But I generally use hot water. I've heard complaints of it not disolving in cold and dubbed down warm. I've only used it 4 times in my Duet (I love saying my duet) all with hot water and again no disolving issues. I would just pre disolve it before adding it to the machine if its giving you problems, seems like a pain but it will only take a minute. Jody I think you need to stop by and grab a few hundred pounds of mine to add to your stash. LOL. I do plan to sell the vast majoriy of mine But will keep maybe 5 pounds of each. I really like it used with Wisk, STPP & Pure sodium percarbonate, Sins recipe..it does a fantastic job on whites and bedding. Have you tried that yet? Ajaynes2...I must have missed it..what machine do you have?
    ...See More

Sears Laundry Detergent - When on Sale?

Q

Comments (1)
    I was hoping the same thing. I sent my current box with my son, so I may be buying a box that's not on sale. What I normally do is when I get down to the last fill for the inside, I start checking every Sunday to see if it's on sale. So check Black Friday and the cyber Monday sale for after Thanksgiving. However, I wouldn't fight crowds to save a few bucks on detergent.
    ...See More

Sears Detergent has not been Discontinued

Q

Comments (2)
    From what the email said, it is still available just not on the net. I suppose they may be putting it into boxes instead of pails to make it more cost efficient on shipping and materials and to make it more eco friendly. It kinda makes sense. I mean, if you soley buy Sears detergent powder, that is a lot of buckets to accumulate over time. Then again, I was at our local Sears a few weeks ago and they had plenty of buckets of the detergent there and they had had a sale 2 months ago and were sold out of it prior to that visit. I merely wanted to find out once and for all if it was discontinued or not since so many people were saying it was.
    ...See More

Help!!!! Need replacement for Sears Laundry Detergent

Q

Comments (120)
    The one from target is he as I’ve bought it at least a dozen times online. It may not have an updated photo but def he. Just an old picture. It’s been reformulated for awhile so any retailer like Walmart or target is going to have updates product. There is a link on targets website to report an inaccurate listing. Might be worth checking so they can provide an updated box.
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    8 years ago

Been more than a couple years since I tried it, I don't recall what was the selected "flavor" but I believe it was the orange box. I transferred the detergent to a storage container and tossed the box. Anyway, the version I tried had no perfumed-type scent at all, just a neutral-chemical scent. It also took a while to dissolve per the numerous times I used it for hand-soaking in a sink.

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

I always have a box. It's decent. No scent at all and dirt cheap. They run 50% off sales a few times a year. In college this is all that we used for financial reasons :). I use it now for dog bedding, rugs, rags in hot water. It isn't great for color retention or caring for fabrics but for the price is an excellent deal.

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Mama, can you offer a recommendation for getting odor out of clothing/work out clothing? I believe you are recommending a pre-wash, but if you could share your entire method, I would appreciate it! TIA

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

100% agree with laundry Mitch. Growing up I loved it when my Mom would use Tide powder with April Fresh Downy, but when Sears had a sale...My Grandma, Mom, and 2 aunts would all buy like these OMG, 5 gallon buckets of Sears detergent. I hated it then, and hate it now.

Besides always feeling the clothes are not deodorized& fully clean, laundry always looks "dehydrated" and feels rough using Sears powders.

So while, they can be one helluva bargain...I give Sears detergent 2 thumbs down!!!

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

This is my "go to" detergent.

Hubby and I have to use "free" and "clear" type detergents, so this limits what we can use. Finding a good 'he' powder is even more difficult. We use the Sears Ultra Plus free/clear "blue box" powder and have good results with it. CR mag gives the regular a "very good" rating for getting rid of "sebum" (ring around the collar!). The free/clear version does just that, when I pretreat properly.

I add Oxy bleach when needed for lights/whites.

Our Sears Ultra Plus f/c powder does a much better job than the Wisk Deep Clean "free" he liquid that made crazy suds in my Miele FL washer and still left the ring around the collars & cuffs of dress shirts. I gave that stuff away.

I just now looked, and this detergent does not appear on the Sears web site. Eeek!!! Oh noes!!! Good thing I stocked up before our local Sears store closed!!! I might need to put a homeowners insurance rider on my stash! Or store it off site! LOL

Our water is "moderately hard", so I use a half-dose in winter and a regular dose in summer. Rinses out quite well, and even better with STPP

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Absolutely love the product. It's my "go to" detergent for white durable goods. It's NOT heavy on enzymes, virtually no scent, and high alkalinity. I like it because it's a good base for creating commercial cleaning out of a store bought detergent. With a little washroom chemistry voodoo and some addition of borax, STPP, and a shot of a good liquid emulsion type detergent, you end up with a great home use break/suds formula for heavy soil greasy stained goods. Add in a bleach, oxi or chlorine, high temperature, multiple rinses and a softener and your good to go!

Problem with those all in one enzyme products, they not only require lower temps, but longer wash cycles. Enzymes take time. A traditional Alkali formula will not only clean and attack stains better, but can do it with much less wash time, and your free to raise that temp as high as you like.

• elcamino83
    8 years ago

rpsin, I am going to call you a tease, because you hint of a magical laundry potion and yet leave out the particulars. Would any liquid detergent quality as emulsion-type? Stained, smelly, dirty clothes are our family's specialty. I can usually clean our clothes, but often this includes multiple washes over several days with a slew of additives. Frequent guests include: sweat, ink, mud, dirt, grass, nondescript clear oils and the ever-present generic orange stain (could be tomato sauce, could be Fanta. It's anyone's guess). I forgot to add black dirt from Jeep tires (it has some grease in it). That's the worst. Very difficult to remove. I would love to have a more predictable laundry procedure. I am always making it up as I go along.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Sorry. By shot of liquid I personally use WISK, ALL, MEMBERS MARK,ERAI would not use TIDE, PERSIL or any liquid product that is a wrap up one product does all enzyme based detergent. That circumvents the super cleaning effects of my previous comment on Sears Ultra, plus your wasting money on an enzyme product that won't work. The base is Ultra plus, Borax, STPP, (carefully chosen liquid detergent), additional Sodium Carbonate depends..., a bleach of your choice, rinses, and finish. And HOT wash temps 140-150-160F. Keep in mind White Durable Goods, not colors or dress casual.

For some of the soils you describe, this is the formula for you. Ink although will need pre treatment with some sort of solvent. (Lighter Fluid, mineral spirits, acetone) Tomato sauce stains scream for bleach, chlorine will work better than oxi on tomato based stains.

• elcamino83
    8 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. I have just downloaded the article you posted.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

You have to be very, very careful with Alkaline based cleaning detergents. They are extremely rough on Textiles. And I mean.. very rough. We're talking about stuff... with such high PH's... they become corrosive. Not only that... but there horrible for the rubber seals, and mechanical parts of a washing machine not designed for them.

I really think.. everyone should try to stick with near-PH laundry products, as much as possible. You really don't want to use stuff, with a High PH.. unless you absolutely have to. And generally you don't need to.

Almost all of our favorite laundry products. Like STPP, Persil, Tide, Cheer, etc... are all near-neutral PH. This is what helps keep fabrics soft. This is what prevents all that nasty cotton pilling, and rough feeling on textiles.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

Once again... RPSinfoman, I'm not trying to attack you. There's nothing wrong with high alkalinity detergents. I just want to exercise caution in utilizing them.

Most.. American & European front loaders, designed for the home use market... aren't exactly able to handle or take these high-ph formulas well. These detergents can eat or destroy the rubber seal in machines, as well as rust the drum.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@mitch - I won't disagree with that, but we abused the hell out of a Whirlpool Duet with industrial chemicals and it went 12 years. But yes the seals and spider, especially aluminum will weaken. In that short 10 year lifespan, might as well get your use out of it, LOL. Now Miele, for what it costs it should be able to handle anything. That's my opinion.

Alkali hard on textiles.. Yes and no. Durable goods have a limited lifecycle regardless, and can be processed x amount of times. Alkali formulas clean quick, efficient, and fast, BUT if those levels are not returned to proper Ph by multiple rinsing or addition of sour as a finish, they will wear very quickly. Before trying to mimick commercial formulas, one needs a pretty good understanding of the chemistry process.

The Sears Ultra example won't produce anywhere near the 14-15 total alkalinity of true industrial Alkal products, but it does run around 13. The only caveat is if your using chlorine bleach, the Ph must be lowered before the bleach. So it can be the reciepe for success, or disaster.

BTW STPP is a moderately alkaline additive.

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Mitch, have you ever tried Miele Care laundry powders (UltraColor and/or UtraWhite)? I have found these two detergents leave my clothing feeling king of rough, and I am fairly certain it is not related to dose or rinsing. Your comments made me wonder if the Ph of these powders are higher than Tide and Persil, etc.? I can't find the MSDS for MieleCare but I would love to know.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@pink - Thanks but I am far from genius. Just had good chemical people when I was in the business. Even if you don't tweak Sears, it's a great detergent right out of the box.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@mamapinky0, check out that thread.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@mitch - that was very informative. Someone did a lot of research to put that list together. Keep in mind though when titrating a formula, one is concerned not so much with the Ph of the product, but the Total Alkalinity of the Break/Suds. In packaged store bought products the strength is pre determined. In the industrial "washroom" these values are measured and adjusted with products to produce an effective formula and a strength necessary for the soil classification and type of textile. Thus the big difference between commercial and consumer laundry. There isn't ,t too many scenarios where a commercial formula would be needed in a residential environment. There are plenty of packaged products that do an outstanding job out of the box, some better than others.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@clean_and_bright, I haven't tried any of the recently made Miele Care detergents. I *did* however, try them years ago before they we're reformulated and wasn't impressed.

I really do *need* to order them, and give them another try. But... I really don't need any more detergent at the moment. I've really got too much, as it is, lmao.

I think the PH of them, may be a tad bit higher than Ultra Tide Powder you're used to. Don't quote me on that... I just think it's a general observation.

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

And the water is a factor as well. In Indiana our water is alkaline, our house in NC has slightly acidic water. Some water sources contain natural bicarbs.

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Mitch, thanks for the info! Yes, I think you *need* to order them to give them another try. Or if you want I would be happy to send you some so you can test them out! Do you still like the German or UK persil powders? I tried the German liquid/gel and the scent was too strong for me (I like very mild scents), so wondering about persil powder, but I think I recall Larsi saying that the german persil has changed in recent years and is no longer so great?

@Mama, I recall the Ph of Tide liquid being lower than powder detergents....for a while I used Tide liquid F&C and was pretty happy with how it cleaned. Hmm, laundry has become quite complicated--ph, water temp, water hardness, presence of enzymes, rinses, cycle time, soak, brighter, bleaches, liquid vs. powder... OH MY!

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Mitch, scratch that question about Persil--just saw this being addressed in another thread. I won't bother trying the German version based on that thread.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@clean_and_bright... Amazon, has a 5 load box for $9. If you haven't.. it might be worth paying for, just for curiosity alone ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DUZN5C?keywords=Persil%20Universal%20Trial&qid=1444617712&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_3&sr=8-3-fkmr0

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

Thanks, Mitch! I added it to my cart. You are right, it will be fun to test out!

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@pink - see mama now you have your very own formula for stinky sheets. I probably would eliminate the second pre-wash or add half the amount of the Sears or borax to the second pre-wash if the soil level is high. If your going to soak, this would be step I would do it. The rest of it looks good!

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

I would try it if I didn't have to go to Sears for it. My quest for laundry detergent doesn't go past my grocery store or the Mexican grocery for Ariel. (as of yet).

• elcamino83
    8 years ago

pawprint, I made the trek to Sears. $9 a box on sale. I'll give it a whirl, and let you know how it goes. I can always send you some if you are interested.

• izeve
    8 years ago

I think the Sears detergent cleans very well and I like the smell (orange box) but I stopped using it because it noticeably fades dark clothes. Would work well for whites and light colors.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Yes, does fade colors.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

YES! Really fades colors, much quicker than anything I've ever used. Honestly I used to use Tide with Bleach powder or even liquids on colours and darks, and never really noticed any fading or dullness. Even after a few washes with Sears powder...clothes were dull, dry, faded and felt rough!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths