SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidmarion_gw

For fans of Sears HE laundry detergent...

maidmarion
18 years ago

I've read the threads on the Sears Ultra Plus laundry detergent and it seems that it's pretty good. For those of you who use it and are happy with it, which formula can you recommend? I don't know if I should go with the stain fighting formula with the enzymes or the one with Oxyclean. I want a good all around detergent that will keep my whites bright and I can wash dark colors in without them fading.

I currently use liquid coldwater Tide in my old TL and that stuff goes fast. I'm getting a brand new GE Adora set delivered Thursday, so I need the HE formulation. And I need something that will last a long time and will clean really well. So, I'm going with the Sears brand.

Comments (73)

• sshrivastava
    18 years ago

Hey feet2c, vinegar used on such an infrequent basis does nothing to alleviate hard water build-up -- just FYI. You need something much stronger.

• sudsmaster
    18 years ago

Feet2,

Thanks for the correction. Yes, 1 tbs is 15 ml, 1 oz is about 30 ml, so one oz is about 2 tbs.

To me, a "scant" scoop is one that is filled just to the top, without any "doming". As you can see, "scant" is a very vague term, and even with the correct equivalence of 2 tbs/oz, to me a "scant scoop" would be a full 2 oz, or 4 tbs.

• Related Discussions

Sears brand HE laundry detergent

Q

Comments (11)
    For those who live far from a 'regular' Sears store - did you know there are independent Sears stores in many towns? They usually mainly stock appliances and other things, and they do carry Sears laundry detergent (mine had all the different formulas the last time I was there). The one in my town saves me a longer drive to the next closest Sears store at a mall, and I love the convenience of being able to buy detergent there. I've noticed just recently that I can't bring up the Stain-Fighting formula at Sears' website, and I wonder if they plan to discontinue that formula? I certainly hope not! If they do, I'm definitely going to stock up on it, and may have to do that at my neighborhood independent dealer. If someone sees the Sears Stain-Fighting formula at Sears' website, PLEASE post that info here. Thanks!
    ...See More

Sears HE laundry detergent on sale through 7/5

Q

Comments (10)
    jrdown, I wash whites in hot, pastels/colors in warm and darks in warm. I really noticed the fading on Navy cotton kids p.j's and on a black 95%cotton/5%spandex t shirt. Both items had been washed numerous times with Tide, Sunlight. After washing with the Sears I realized that it was not great for darks. It works good on whites though. I am probably not washing in too hot a setting as my washer does not have an internal heater Cabrio with agitator. I am glad you have not experienced any fading. I am too nervous to try it out on any more darks as I wear many of these clothes to work. Let me know what you think.
    ...See More

Sears Laundry Detergent

Q

Comments (6)
    I use it too. my preference is the stain fighting version. I got some to restock myself last week. it was on and island in between paint and tools with a sign marked 24.99 for the 275 load bucket but it rang up 19.99. being single that will last me about 15 months or more. even at $24.99 a bucket thats less then a dime per wash load($0.090872). better yet I think it works as good as Tide and costs less per use than the bargain brands from the dollar store. Another thing I like is it has no real sent to it like some other stuff out there it just leaves your clothes smelling clean.
    ...See More

Sears HE3t; Laundry doesn't smell fresh.

Q

Comments (10)
    Laundryman: I am not using large loads: the most recent load was 1 pr. jeans, 1 shirt, 1 lightweight cotton sweater, 1 tee shirt, 3 pr. men's jockeys, 2 pr. socks and 2 handkerchiefs, 1 pr P.Js. This was probably 1 pr pants lighter than normal load. I use the normal/casual cycle using hot/cold for whites and warm/cold for darks. Occasionally I use the sanitary cycle for towels and sheets, but I really watch the load size. I fill the detergent receptacle until the level reaches 1/2 way up to the max fill line for liquid detergent. I fill the fabric softner to about 2/3 to the max level and add some water to reach the max. I have no idea what the "cleaning cycle" is, so I guess that means I probably haven't done it, unless it is the same thing as using the sanitary cycle, which I use about 1 time a week, maybe 2. I don't notice suds when I look through the window. The clothes don't have excessive soiling or grease. I appreciate your response, and hope you have some ideas. In the meantime I will find my manual and see about the "cleaning cycle" you referred to.. I am willing to change detergents and fabric softners...whatever it takes. I'm hoping it doesn't take a new washer....when we bought this one I had such high expections/hopes that it would be "the one!" Also, as I said, we do have a water softner. We live in an area that has good water.
    ...See More
  • sudsmaster
    18 years ago

Bob said,

"To my knowledge, the only Sears detergents labeled "HE" are the ones in the plastic pails, not the boxes."

By coincidence, I purchased a big box of Sears Ultra Plus the other week. The price was right: $10 for 20 lbs. I had assumed it was labelled "HE", which it isn't. Your post alerted me to that, thanks.

However, I did a "shaken jar" test, comparing some Sears Ultra Plus HE I bought in a plastic bucket about four years ago, to the boxed Sears Ultra Plus I just purchased. I couldn't detect any difference in suds level between the HE bucketed version and the non-HE-labelled boxed version. I suspect they are exactly the same product, just different packaging.

I would have purchased a bucket instead of a box, but Sears didn't have any of the Ultra Plus HE in buckets. Just the stuff with Oxyclean, which I don't want for darks/colors.

I'm running a grimy load of work jeans/shop coat with the non-HE-labelled boxed version right now, with the same dose I usually use with the HE-labelled version. Minimal sudsing.

• maidmarion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sudsmaster, I saw that box last week (?) and it *was* on sale for 10 bucks. I paid $24.95 for my HE pail. :( They said it hadn't been on sale for several months.

• nwesterner
    18 years ago

maidmarion,

What was the size of your HE pail? I paid $15 a couple weeks ago for the 14.4# size. The non-HE larger box was on sale for $10 as was the pail with oxi.

• mike_73
    18 years ago

I have used the Sears plus perfume free before. I did like it and all but when it was used up instead of going back to sears I started buying Purex HE. Purex is ok but I think the Sears cleaned better. Plus I think I tend to over use it liquid more than with a powder.

Today I just ordered up a 275 load pail of the stain fighting formula for pick up at my closest sears. even when not on sale at $24.99 + 6% sales tax its cheaper per load than Purex was. Purex is $3.98 + tax for 100 oz. liquid that does 30-32 loads, thats about $.14 per load vs. Sears Plus at just under $.10 per load and I have to buy it far less often. For me, a single guy now living alone, that only gets house guests from time to time the 275 load pail should last me over a year. What a deal!

• maidmarion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike, you're right, it's a great deal. :) I used it and in my new GE FL the scent is completely rinsed out. I would rather have some scent though.

nwesterner, my pail is just over 31 1/2 lbs. I did see the non HE box that was on sale for $10, but the HE formulation wasn't.

How much are you guys using? I am currently using 1 scoop, but am seeing suds on some loads. It was suggested that I try 1/2 scoop.

• the_seven
    18 years ago

If it say 1 scoop for 1 TL load, then 1/2 scoop would be sufficient. Of course, one should vary according to the load size, solidity od laundry and hardness of water.

I bought Kenmore Ultra Plus (powder) with HE label from Sears Canada at C$ 22.99 less 15% + 14% tax. The weight is 6.4 kg (14 lb) with 125 washload. 1 scoop (62ml) for 1 medium TL load.
    For FL use 1/2 scoop. Then it could becomes 250 FL loads.

• mike_73
    18 years ago

Maidmarion - I liked the no sent but wanted to try the stain fighter this time. is the sent real mild and not flowery? I find flowery sents ofensive in my clothes.

I also found that the sears was sudsy at my old house where I had a water softener, when I used a full scoop. that was mostly on smaller and lighter weight loads, so I used a little less, like 2/3 to 3/4 of a scoop. Now however I do not have a water softener and am on a different city water supply so I do not know how it will be now.

• nwesterner
    18 years ago

I have softened water and a 6k Miele. I had previously been using non-HE and dosing in tsps 1-2 usually. I tried using the same with the Sears HE. Some have suggested that isn't enough, and think I may try 1 tbl next time with a full load just to see what happens.

If your scoop is the clear small plastic one I think came with my pail (I don't use the scoop), that is 3 Tbl I think. Your tub is bigger than mine, so your loads would be also. Type of water and any additives used should also be considered in your detergent amount.

• mike_73
    18 years ago

I only ever put in Oxy clean for whites and heavy soiled loads sometimes I my use bleach but not often. Thats it oter than Fabric softener. And boy what a time I have finding an FS with a smell I like. I am using gain in the whitewater fresh sent now but I find most of the Brands are very smelly and flowerly. All I want is soft clean clothes that smell clean and fresh, I do not want strong flowery smelling clothes. why can't american detergent companies get that and make such a thing?

• maidmarion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike there is very little scent to the Sears Utra Plus HE detergent. I wouldn't call it flowery at all; it's a very pleasant scent. It rinses right out of my clothes. I'm even going to start using fabric softener because I like a little scent to my clothes-and they could be a little softer.

I think you will like the Ultra Plus.

Nwesterner, yes, I have the small plastic scoop. But, I measured it to be about 5 tbsp. I'll recheck it. I can't imagine using 1-2 tsp. like you do. I would be scared. lol. :)

• the_seven
    18 years ago

Is the Kenmore Ultra Plus HE same as Sears HE?

Here is a link that might be useful: Detergent for my FL

• the_seven
    18 years ago

Seems every one has his/her own scoop, tea-spoon, table-spoon, soup-spoon, serving-spoon, etc.

I am also confused about their exact sizes and seems to have different size for spoons of the same type. It will be less confused if the size (ml) of the scoop/spoon is specified.

One scoop from my Kenmore Ultra Plus HE detergent is 62ml and use 1/2 scoop for one FL load.

Maidmarion,
    Using 62ml for one FL load could be overdosed if your Sears HE is same as my Kenmore HE. Nwesterner has an Euro-size (5kg?)FL and you have an full-size (8 kg) FL. So Nwesterner would use less.

• the_seven
    18 years ago

Sorry and correction,
    Nwesterner has a 6kg Miele.

• maidmarion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the seven, the dosage instructions on my Sears HE Ultra Plus detergent are as follows: 1/2 scoop for small capacity washers; 1 scoop for top-loading automatic and energy efficient washers and 1 1/2 scoops for large capacity automatic washers.

This is why I thought for my 3.7 cf GE Adora, I should be using 1 level scoop.

The small plastic scoop that comes in the pail holds 5 tbsp.

• suzycc
    18 years ago

Hmmmm...I use most of the different formulations in my Danby but I'm using WAY less than you all. I only use up to the very bottom line in the plastic cup. Not sure how much that is, but it's probably only 1/4 scoop. Anything more than that and I get mega suds.

~~susie.

• the_seven
    18 years ago

maidmarion,
    The exact wording on Kenmore HE is:
    1 level scoop (62ml) - For top loading automati & wringer washers.
    Use 1/2 scoop (31ml) for small capacity automatic & front loading washers.
    Use 1 1/2 scoop (93ml) for large capacity washloads.

This wording clearly states the dose for FL load is 31ml.

Would interpret this wording as identical to yours.
    If so, 1 scoop for your FL is over-dosed.

• nwesterner
    18 years ago

I re-measured with a single TBL measuring spoon I have cooked with for multi years instead of a mixed size one I used before. The first line on the scoop that came with my pail of Sears HE is about 1 TBL. Four leveled off TBLs of detergent start to overflow the scoop I have. So my 2 tsp with my 6k Miele and softened water is a little less than 1 TBL. I don't really think I would want to go over 1 TBL with my machine.

• maidmarion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder why Sears would word the dosage instructions like that for one scoop: "1/2 scoop for small capacity washers". How is a 3.7 cf FL considered a small capacity washer?

the seven, it would be a lot less confusing if they worded it like the instructions on your Kenmore box.

• lizql
    18 years ago

Maid, Use whatever works for you. If half scoop is getting the clothes clean then use half scoop. When my son comes in with mud from head to toe, I use a full scoop. BTW, You are suppose to use less detergent in a front loader because you are using less water. I don't get suds even with a full scoop. I also have hard water.

• the_seven
    18 years ago

lizql,
    Sounds that you have TL?

• elayjay
    17 years ago

I have been using Sears HE Ultra Laundry detergent with Bleach Alternative for 2 years, ever since we got our Kenmore HE front loader. It is one of the best detergents I have ever used, in any tempurature water, and having the bleach alternative means I do not have to spend the extra money on Clorox 2. I buy the 175 load tub which is usually $19.99 and yes my local Sears also has it in the paint department. Stupid...huh? You'd think they'd sell alot more detergent if the stock was located near the laundry machines....duh.Anyway, for those of you using a bleach alternative in addition to laundry detergent, try it. It is the one with the green lid. if I need regular chlorine bleach I'll use Tide HE.

• westernwilson
    16 years ago

Is this detergent still available? I went to order it online (placed last order in the fall, and got tons so it's been a while since I ordered any) and cannot find it listed on the sears.ca site.

I will check in store; this is a really good laundry detergent, although I must admit the packaging is ghastly, and I wish it had a nice scent.

• mike_73
    16 years ago

was hoping you were wrong so I searched the sears site and found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: sear's detergents

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I just bought some at the store yesterday - they had the unscented too - someone mentioned they thought that was no longer available.

• westernwilson
    16 years ago

It is Sears Canada that has delisted the detergent online. You can still get it, you just have to phone to place the order.

Up here, we can only get the boxes (ugly, awkward), not the nice buckets you guys south of the border get!

• poodlebud
    16 years ago

I've been using the Sears Ultra HE detergent for the last year and I realized that it has faded the colors of my nursing scrubs. I work in a doctor's office and the staff wears a matching uniform for each day of the week. We all ordered our uniforms together, so we've worn and washed them the same amount of time. I noticed last week that my uniforms are so faded compared to the other girls'. There are 4 of us in the office, the 2 girls who's uniforms still look brand new both use Tide.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

More than likely, it is probably the temperature of the water you use instead of the detergent.

• nsaids_nurse420_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

who manufactures sears ultra plus detergent? what company?

• sparky823
    16 years ago

I have heard that it is Huish that makes their detergent. The same people that make Sun detergent and several "store" brands.

• nsaids_nurse420 Kirker
    15 years ago

i bought 3 buckets of this detergent in early april. sale price was 12.49. 5 cents a load for 275 loads a bucket. with the prices on everything going up, this was the ultimate steal. i will always keep my eye on their sales. this product got car grease out of my husbands tee shirts. no pretreating, coldest water setting, HE to boot. no problems in my cabrio HE washer. LOVE this product and hope they never stop making it.

• elbits
    15 years ago

I bought a bucket of the oxy and one of the stain figher. They are on sale until May 10th.

• kaylasmom
    15 years ago

I brought a bucket today Advanced Forumula Ultra Plus with fabric softener it was 19.99

• ajaynes2
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, the HE Sears detergent left white faded marks on my good pullover dark t-shirts. Did I use too much detergent? I only used the 1 scoop but now I think I will use a lot less. Anyone else have that experience? I may change when I am done with this box.

• boba1
    7 years ago

Were these t-shirts washed in cold water?

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

ajaynes2 - I've never had that happen, but I do not use the Sears HE powder version that has oxygen bleach in it. Does your version have it? If you overdose, it is possible to fade darks. As to whether you used too much detergent, that depends on how large was the load of clothes you washed.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I have used the Sears many times and have all the varietys...I can't imagine it fading anything to that extreme. The one with Oxi..probable could if its on the clothing and left undisolved completely. Oxygen Bleach won't strip color like chlorine bleach but it can and will fade given the right conditions. Are you sure its white fade marks or could it be powder residue which will wash off?

• ajaynes2
    7 years ago

I did not wash the t-shirts in cold water. So, I looked at some of the shirts and sure enough, it happened to be the powder residue. I tried to decrease the detergent and add water and they turned out fine. I don't mind the decrease in water but does it have to be so extreme that this happens?? I have read all sorts of comments about these machines and most are negative. If I buy a 4.5 cubic HE washer to do large loads and it can not handle that, what are you supposed to do? Is there anything out there that is better? I have considered returning these machines, but don't know what is better, if there is a better. I still have about 10 days to return them. Ok I have to say it. I feel like they turned the clock back 50 years in the laundry dept. There! it makes me feel better!!!

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

ajaynes, I have a box of the Sears Ultra w/ oxy that I'm using in a top load Speed Queen....the stuff absolutely does not dissolve readily during the wash cycle (even with using hot water.) There are quite a few complaints about this on line. Several people have suggested dissolving it first in a quart of hot water before adding to the machine. I've not gone to that trouble since I've using it only for whites. I put the detergent in the bottom of the tub, start the machine filling and toss the clothes in. I let it agitate for a couple of minutes and then stop the machine and let the clothes soak for a few hours...which is my normal procedure with whites regardless of the detergent. The powder does dissolve during the soak.

I've not used it with colored clothes (except maybe a load of jeans)...because, when I've used (the orange box) other Sears detergent in the past, I thought it was harsh on colors....so not risking it with colors. The only reason that I decided to try it again (the oxy version) was because the price is so good and it seems to clean decently. But, given the problems getting it to dissolve, doubt that I will purchase it again.

• Jody
    7 years ago

I use the regular one in the orange box and have never had a problem with fading or the powder not dissolving. I do have a toploader so that might make a difference beause of the amount of water, but I have been very happy with the detergent, and hope I stay happy since I have several hundred pounds of the stuff stored.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I have 4 different varieties of the Sears...someone stop by with a truck and you can tak99% of it. I can't use all of this. I have never had a problem with this stuff disolving in my TL'ers. But I generally use hot water. I've heard complaints of it not disolving in cold and dubbed down warm. I've only used it 4 times in my Duet (I love saying my duet) all with hot water and again no disolving issues. I would just pre disolve it before adding it to the machine if its giving you problems, seems like a pain but it will only take a minute.

Jody I think you need to stop by and grab a few hundred pounds of mine to add to your stash. LOL. I do plan to sell the vast majoriy of mine

But will keep maybe 5 pounds of each. I really like it used with Wisk, STPP & Pure sodium percarbonate, Sins recipe..it does a fantastic job on whites and bedding. Have you tried that yet?

Ajaynes2...I must have missed it..what machine do you have?

• ajaynes2
    7 years ago
    I have a Sears Kenmore 600 series. I will try some of the ideas everyone had listed that are much appreciated cause I am not used to these kind of troubles with laundry. Thanks
  • ci_lantro
    7 years ago

The Sears Ultra with Oxy that doesn't want to dissolve is the one in the Blue box. I've used the orange box in the past (several years ago) and no problems with it dissolving (as I recall).

The blue box stuff doesn't fully dissolve using hot water in an old school Top Loader. Much of it survives to end up in the dryer lint filter IF I don't allow for a good long soak.

• Cavimum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

>>> "The Sears Ultra with Oxy that doesn't want to dissolve is the one in the Blue box."

The Sears Ultra HE powder we have comes in a blue box and has no oxygen bleach at all. (I'm a chronic label reader - LOL) It *is* a free & clear formula, so perhaps that comes in the blue box also? It's all so confusing ... aaack! Be sure to read the label and ingredients closely on those blue boxes, then, so you know what you're getting.

FWIW, I have had no problems with the Sears powder not dissolving in our FL washer, even in the few cold washes I have tried. Mostly, though, I use it in warm to hot temps, though, because I mostly use it on light colors and whites. Our darks get a detergent that has no optical brighteners.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Sears has a blue box labled with Oxi and another blue box that's their free and clear. I can't get to my box with Oxi to read the ingrediants.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

mamapinkyo - that second photo is the blue box I have. Two types in the same color box sure doesn't make it easy on us customers, does it? lol