SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtaylor15

Please help ID this bug on my indoor plants

Jen Taylor
8 years ago

Upon moving into a new house, we took these plants with us from my parents and found these tiny critters crawling on the outsides of a dracaena cutting. The closest thing I can find to resemble them is a hypoapsis miles. Unfortunately, these do seem to be Harming my plants and I'm afraid they are eating the roots. However, in the plant they were originally found in, the new leaf shoot easily bumped off during the move and the stalk now appears to be rotting. They come out mostly when watering but I've seen them on the stalk, the leaves, and all throughout the soil. I can't seem to get rid of them and they have since spread to some of my other potted dracaena starts as well. I have used homemade pest solutions, products with neem oil, and Fungicide 3. It looks like the white specks seen on the underside of the leaf are the baby insects. They are light brown, quick moving, six legs, and body shaped like a watermelon seed.

Any ideas? And how do I get rid of them? I would hate to see my other plants die from these critters as they seem to be spreading.

Edit|Delete

Jen Taylor

The plant is planted in a potting soil, and this is about an inch or so of sand on the top that my mom used to help stave off fungus gnats. I had just watered before taking the picture and am planning on repotting in the next few weeks or so. I'm just worried these bugs will climb into the plant and infest the new soil as well. I was hoping to get rid of these before repotting. My mom, who has a few cuttings in the same potting mixture has not seen any of these bugs in her plants. Here are a few more pictures.

This is the original pot they were found in, and the one on the left is the stalk that was bumped and appears to be rotting.

Comment (1)