SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Goat Meat - Good Uses Of . . .

John Liu
8 years ago

This weekend I was staying at a farm in southern Oregon, near Ashland. We were in tent cabins, with a shared cookhouse.

Well, it would have been shared if there was anyone else staying there, but early October is getting pretty late in the season, so we had the cookhouse to ourselves.

In the evening we saw plays in Ashland - "The Comte of Monte Cristo" and "Guys and Dolls" - during the day we hung around the farm and I puttered in the cookhouse. At night we lay shivering under half a dozen quilts and arguing about whose turn it was to crawl out in the cold to feed the woodstove, because, well, that's why no-one else was staying in the tent cabins.

The farm had goats. Live goats, looking cute and environmentally responsible - and so talented. The folks who owned the farm told us the goats were trained to carry saddlebags and accompany guests on walks around the valley - it is a 500 acre farm, more of a ranch, I guess. There were also freezers of frozen vacuum-packed goat, looking tasty.

I've petted goats three times more than I have eaten it. Yes, three times versus one time. And I've cooked goat zero times. Still, how could we resist?

I bought some "goat osso buco" and made a stew with red wine, beef stock, onion, carrot, red potato, radishes, tomato paste, anchovy paste, cumin, coriander, dill, and so on.

The good: the stew was very tasty.

The bad: it wasn't any tastier than if it had been made with $4/lb supermarket chuck, instead of with $11/lb all-organic grass-fed hand-reared locally-raised college-educated classically-trained goat. Err, that price was for the osso buco . . . the loin chops were $17/lb which is why I had decided to experiment with the "cheap" cut.

In fact, the stewed goat didn't taste particularly different from stewed cow. So, maybe a heavy stew with tons of wine is not the best dish to showcase the flavor of goat?. I dunno.

Here is the question: should I in the future encounter a freezer full of every possible cut of goat, from loin chops to ribs, osso buco to ground, even neck bones - what cut should I buy and what dish should i make with it, to get the most from this meat?. Or would you skip the goat freezer and head for the pig freezer instead?

Comments (8)