SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homedude3

Kinetico water softeners again

homedude3
8 years ago

Hi all,

Some Kinetico comments, and a follow-up invitation to weigh in.

one thing I was not able to find, in all the discussions about kinetico, was any comments regarding the elimination of the processor or electronic controls, and metering the actual water used instead. I suppose if one's water hardness changes frequently, then the re-charge cycle could end up set incorrectly, so that would be one downside -- but not as much of a downside (to me) as adding the necessary complexity to detect changing water hardness! The lack of any electronic controls has some tangible attractiveness: I've owned a Kinetico for 25 years and its still going. I've replaced the float valve once, and thats it. I don't plug it in; there are no circuit boards or electronic components, sensors, timers, WiFi radios, web servers, or other happiness to fail. I just feed it Morton system saver pellets and forget about it otherwise.

On the other hand, my furnace has required two service calls in 3 years -- each time for an electronic control or circuit board related failure.

computers fail. circuit boards fail. contacts corrode. filter caps dry out, and boards have to be replaced, especially if they are subjected to the extremes of temperature found in a garage. So to me, the attractiveness of kinetico has nothing to do with saving electricity or even salt, it has to do with saving repair costs and general reliability.

The theme I do see here is about dealers, which of course applies to any brand with a similar business model. So for those of us who prefer to rely on a reputable brand-specific arrangement, Kinetico should be on the short list: The evaluation is a much about the dealer/installer/service program as it is the product. When the dealer elements check out, its hard to beat Kinetico in my opinion, but I can also be accused of being old school -- While I'm a Sparky and an active IT professional I really don't care to log into my water softener and I don't want it to send me notifications about excessive water usage, because I would rather that the design itself eliminate the possibility of those problems in the first place. I just want it to be installed and adjusted properly so all I have to do is feed it pellets.

as for the invitation to weigh in -- I'm moving to a new place and considering Kinetico again. Has there been any important advances in the state-of-the-art? Does anyone else mechanically meter actual water usage and operate the valve action with water pressure? Has Kinetico kept up, and is their quality control still up to snuff? (btw, no I do not notice drops in water pressure during the recharge, in spite of counter-advertising claims to the contrary).

Comments (9)