SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi

What do dormant perennials really need? Overwintering rooted cuttings

ruth_mi
8 years ago

I have some fairly newly-rooted perennial cuttings (hibiscus moscheutos cuttings taken in very late summer) that I'd like to help through the winter, and I'm not sure how to best do that. I'm searched various forums (including the propagation forum) for an answer to this, but didn't find many answers from people who had successfully overwintered.

I'd prefer to let most of them go dormant and keep them outside or in the garage rather than try to keep them alive inside. Can I keep them in my unheated attached garage? I could keep them close to the house where they wouldn't freeze but would stay very cold.

I know they'll need some water so the soil won't dry out, but do they need light when they're dormant? It seems like they'd get very little light in the ground under snow, but I'm not sure. I have a spot in the garage where I could put a fluorescent light on a timer, but don't want to mess with it if I don't have to.

I usually overwinter marginal containers buried close to my compost pile. But these are new enough that I think they'll need more babying than that.

Any thoughts?

Comments (7)