SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Courtesy on the road

joyfulguy
8 years ago

After I'd been here in the library for about an hour, a librarian came over and suggested that I might have left the running lights on in my parked car ... they were. She'd gone for the mail and knew my car. She was duly thanked.

I'm to go to a friend's home, often leaving little margin of travel time, to drive together to an investment group meeting (of subscribers to the money management magazine that I refer to here from time to time) some distance away near the other end of the city.

Yesterday I was travelling on a rather narrow road approaching another narrow one, with little spare room at the corner when a long truck began a turn from that road into mine, so I slowed substantially to allow him lots of room to make his turn. He waved in thanks as he came up to me.

Just after I turned the corner, that road passes over a freeway and an oncoming vehicle was in the lane and signalling to cross my path to enter the freeway. Another vehicle was following me at middle distance, so I swung to my right on paved shoulder so that the approaching vehicle could turn right after me while maintaining speed, which he did.

At a number of intersections in our city the curb swings to the right at the approach, enough so that if the first car stopped sits in the middle of the lane there's not enough room for the second car to turn right, should the driver wish to do so, but if the driver of the first car hugs the road marking on the left, there's sufficient room for the second car to turn right if the driver so wishes.

Helpful for the second driver, at no cost to the first driver - so why not?

Nice to be helpful to others, when one has the opportunity.

ole joyfuelled

Comments (34)