SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Living with a non-plant person

My guy is so funny.

A couple of months ago, I asked him to bring out my Ficus (that's "the tall dining room plant" to him) and he did. He tells me, "I like this plant," and went back inside.

I went to town on the plant, pruning it down to about a foot tall, removing branches, etc.

Then I called him back out to carry it back in. And when he came back out, he asked me which plant....and I told him, "The same one you brought out!" He couldn't find it (it was right there on the table). When I pointed it out to him, he exclaims, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THIS PLANT?"

LOL

He then adds, "You grew it all this time just to chop it down to nothing?" Valid observation--one point for him.

And I did do just that.....and I admit, I can't say it was looking "better," but it is what it is.

No pain, no gain.

Today (at 6am, basically when it was dark), I carried out my much more manageable plant to water it. I brought him out later and pointed to the back budding and said, "THAT is why I chopped it down." All righteous, feeling validated.

His answer:

"What's so great about that? It had much better leaves on top. You still maimed the plant."

And then as he's carrying the plant back in, he mumbles to them, "Don't bother growing, little leaves...she's just gonna chop you off if you grow."

(Another point for the man.)

Love this guy. :-D

Comments (26)

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL. What a cute story!!

My husband isn't big on the plants either. If a plant gets a yellow leaf he swears I'm killing it. Smh. I think my plants have grew on him though because he always asks me if I want another one.

Good thing about being with non plant people is we don't have to worry about them watering them!!!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jamila, that is so true. I would not want him to water my plants...I just need help lifting and then cleaning up on those days I make my yard look like a tornado went through it. (Repotting days, usually...lol.)

And....I just got a shiver through my spine, but if he gardened, then....omg he'd eat up what little space I have! No, no....completely unacceptable. One gardener per household is plenty. He can raise goldfish or something if he wantsa hobby. No, no.

• Related Discussions

how many Clemson okra plants to plant per person?

Q

Comments (13)
    The reason most people do not like okra is they think of it being slimy, In stews this does not happen. For those who do not like it being slimy they can cook it on medium to medium low until it stops foaming. I raised a large crop when I had the room and never had a problem of it going to waste. My wife took a 10 gallon pot to a Church dinner. They asked what it was and when she told them they said they did not like okra, but we brought an empty pot home. Cooking is an art that takes love and adventure for the soul. I also love Cactus pads in stew with onions and tomatoes. They also have to be cooked slowly until they stop foaming. All foods can be enjoyed if prepared by someone who knows how to fix that dish.
    ...See More

Just a question from a non worm person

Q

Comments (2)
    Come on, Ole Dawg, be a Worm Person. It's more fun than you can imagine. Keep reading this forum; We know how to live. In the Upcountry you can do it indoors, outdoors, fancy or plain. You'll feel SO GOOD keeping so much stuff out of the landfill, and your plants will love you for it. If you don't grow plants, you'll have friends who do!
    ...See More

Does cottage living attract a certain person, or do you change?

Q

Comments (42)
    Welcome, Sabrinaflorida Dave in Idaho, Jannie, Patty Cakes. So good to see so many folks coming in. I have been slightly MIA because of my job. Going to be a busy week. Dave which end of Idaho are you? Hope you get to see the northern lights tonight. Supposed to be a good show the further north you are. We are only about mid Idaho so might not get to see them. My husband has thrown a wrench in the shelf project for a bit. He informed me we will be getting a pellet stove or Monitor stove or some other form of back up heat soon.He has not decided which. It will have to go in the living room which means something has to give. And it might have to give towards my studio. WWWWAAAAHHHHH Why not into his garage??? Heheheh Wish the gun cabinet which is a monster would go away. Would make a perfect china cabinet but I already have two of them and do not have a space for it in the dinning room. So it might become the shelving in my studio. NOT my idea of a good idea so you all keep good thoughts some one will buy it. Dang as I had that shelf system all worked out even some down on paper and it would be so perfect in my room. Not giving up on the idea yet. Just depends on which stove he decides on. Chris
    ...See More

Live Floor Plants non toxic

Q

Comments (3)
    There’s a type of palm that can do well in low light (didn’t think it was the Areca though) but Ive never seen one available in my area. I think it’s a Parlor Palm. Speaking of plants, I bought a ZZ plant a few years ago (still have it) because it was ok a non toxic list. While looking for reporting info. for another plant recently I read it was highly toxic to pets and human should it be ingested.
    ...See More
  • jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Yup I agree only too for one plantie over here!!!

Goldfish ha ha!!! My hubby killed his fish so I told him just stick to the music LOL.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

That was completely entertaining, gave me a huge smile! TY!

• violetwest
    8 years ago

"And then as he's carrying the plant back in, he mumbles to them, "Don't
    bother growing, little leaves...she's just gonna chop you off if you
    grow."

Hahaha!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

Every once in a while my wife will take it upon herself to cut the grass for me if I'm really pressed at work. A few times while cutting, she's knocked bonsai off the grow benches and out of the pot. Instead of telling me, she just stuffs it back in the pot and calls it good. A couple of times, plants I've been working for 10-15 years were killed or set back badly because they dried out because so much of the soil was knocked off the roots. Because she was trying to do me a favor, I can't get angry. I try to explain I'm not mad, just disappointed, but she still gets defensive and comes back with "They're only plants." When I try to explain they're more than plants, it's , "Ok - cut it (the grass) yourself next time. So I do. Itsa lose lose situation. She doesn't realize that a plant you've been nurturing for 15 years is more than just a plant and can't understand how anyone can be "that attached to a plant".

Al

8 years ago

It's probably good to get that off your chest. What about building a guardrail around benches? A row of paver stones, to move mowing away a bit more?

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

Funny story. I think my BF thinks plants and other green living things = more work and maintenance, kind of like his gigantic lawn. Glad I started with houseplants vs a lawn. I might feel the same way.

8 years ago

I'm a plant person, but not when it comes to mowing. Is this an appropriate time to chant, Kill that grass, kill that grass? If not, sorry, nevermind!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Green, puhahaha! My guy does that too. He will walk by a painting on the wall and one day, 15 years after I bought it and 5.5 years since he's seen it,, he asks if I bought a new painting. Me: "What the...what's wrong with you?" lol

Oh, Al...I feel your pain!

But dearest Al, come on --- "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed" is...the...worst thing to say! That means you're mad in femalese....because when we start any sentence with "I'm not mad," it's usually when we're blazing angry. LOL

its very kind of your wife to now, though. I could swim through a field of grass and will still not mow. I don't know how, and don't want to know. That's a man's job....so we hire someone to mow LOL. (I am with Tiffany; given a choice I'd kill it all off. Totally useless once your kids are past 5 years of age.)

Jamila, the sexiest man in the world is one who looks at you and says: "Want to go visit a nursery?" Heheh.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Grace, yes yes yes!!!

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Having moved to Florida 3 years ago, I decided to start some flowers from seed to fill in a large bed we made. I grew trays and trays of seedlings to provide color and to also hide the many rose bushes my husband planted.

I remembered last year that the roses looked terrible during the heat of the summer months, losing most of their lower leaves. So I planted all sorts of flowers in front of the rose bushes. My other thought was the flowers would help shade the rose bush roots.

He decided to weed! Pulled every single flower up. He said they were weeds.

I grew those seedlings for months before planting. Now we have bare rose stems in the front of the garden. I will not do it again.

I was not as kind as Al. I came home, found all my flowers gone and got ballistic! I won't do it again.

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

Hi

To the negative when I go to the shows and bring home a box of rare and exotic stuff she says "How much did you spend"?? Picks up a red form of a Malaysian shingle plant and says "What kind of philo is this??" lol

And then last she goes shopping brings home a plant that I don't have a prayer of keeping and months later says "What happened to that plant I got for you??lol

On the positive . She takes all the pix and organizes the files though often the title says "Plant" Garden Pix ,Or white flower" etc. and you open it up and it's pix of her sisters or the great grand kids lol Sometimes there actually is a pic from the title at the end if you hunt long enough!! gary

• ronalawn82
    8 years ago

Grace, I wondered whether the statement, "I came home, found all my flowers gone and got ballistic! I won't do it again." What? Go ballistic? Or grow flowers from seed?

However, my wife (of 46 years), likes the flowers and the edible fruits of my labors; but nothing else. I must confess that I am to blame for her seeming indifference. For many years, my job on a plantation involved much close contact with Mother Earth. I would come home for lunch and she would greet me with a bath towel! I would have to get out of my mud splattered clothes right there at the back door. I would go back to work in clean pressed khaki's, and polished boots - to get (mud) plastered all over again. My sister would nominate my wife for Sainthood. In the culture from which I come, that is a rare relationship.

Now, we would visit friends and I would pluck the yellow leaf from a pothos, or do the 'thumb & forefinger' swipe on the leaf of a corn plant, oblivious to the embarrassment of the hostess and my wife. So, I humbly own up to my OCD's (I do have more than the one) and even look forward to one of our closest friends greeting me with a feather duster!

At home I grow a rose bush and tend a kitchen garden for "you know who".

• christine 5b
    8 years ago

love reading all you storys....

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You gentlemen have some stellar wives!!

Jane, I got a little angry for you. Lol and then I started laughing because how hilarious is that?! Meanwhile, your husband was probably wondering how on earth these "weed grew overnight" ---☺️ Literally! puhahaha. Not funny but definitely funny. Kkkkkkk

i have one do add.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but does your non plant spouse or partner ALWAYS, without fail, brush by each plant that really would take a lot of effort to reach? I mean, a plant will be 2 feet from the door and I think it's safe....but then he will come out to throw the trash out and that trash bag will be like 3 feet wide! It is without fail.

HOW DID YOU NOT SEE THAT? lol

• Paul MI
    8 years ago

Some cute stories.

In all fairness, Jane, if you didn't warn hubby that you were planting a bunch of seedlings you must shoulder some of the blame. You can't expect non-plant folks to make such connections on their own. :p

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Paul, let me give a bit more info. I started trays and trays of seeds for the flower beds (I have quite a few), and seeds for my butterfly garden.

My husband loves Roses. He buys them, puts them in the ground and will water them to death...nothing else! No fertilizer, no weeding, no nothing. He likes to water.

I'm the gardener. I weed, plant, mulch, fertilize. Last year I decided the roses he planted in the front of the garden looked horrible in July/August. Lost most of the leaves from the canes so all you saw were sticks with a few flowers on top (if lucky). So I made a plan. Plant some annuals along the border of the garden which would hide the bare canes come July.

I ordered lots of seeds, started planting them in January to go in the ground in May/June. They took up half of our lanai. He was annoyed all winter because I had plastic benches with trays of seedlings all over the place.

We are retired. Its not like he wasn't aware of these plants all winter. I put them in the ground around April. By July they were in full flower, looked beautiful and he pulled them out saying, they were smothering his roses and he thought they were weeds.

The man never pulled a weed in his life! Now we've had bare cane roses for the last 4 months. So, I will not go berserk because I will not plant anything in front of the bare canes.

I'll try to post a few pics of the garden to give a better idea.

Jane

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh Jane, I pictured little green, weed-like seedlings that he pulled, not actual flowering plants!

Do you believe him? LOL

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

No Grace. Most had been growing for months in pots and were flowering. Did that on purpose.

I planted bedding Salvia, Gallardia, Zinnias. They were good size and I put large white labels in front of each plant to make sure the gardeners didn't 'round-up' them. By July they were all in full flower and looked so pretty. Hid all those bare canes.

So now, all I have are bare canes. Did he do it on purpose? I suspect he did. He said all the 'weeds' were smothering his roses. So bare canes it is!

These photos give you an idea. Just visualize a very large bed approx. 50 ft long and 20ft deep. The roses you see are planted in the very front of the boarder. So I dig it larger by enlarging the front border by about 3 ft to fill in with annuals. Looked very pretty.

As you can see, not a single zinnia, salvia survived. He even pulled up the purple ground cover (not sure what its called).

Since he retired, he has decided its his place to water and protect his roses. So be it. He was never involved over the years as he was away at work. Now, I'm in big trouble!

Jane

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Omg, you think he really pulled them on purpose?? Did he wonder why the weeds were labeled? Hahahah!

I'd be suspicious, too, Jane, but you're hilarious! Did you do something to make him mad? Lol

Yes, it looks quite bare, though not ugly. I could imagine that with the flowers, the bed would look more complete. It must make you seethe every time you look in that direction, though!

This is what we were saying above -- not really better when you have a partner who also grows something. I wouldn't care so much if he wanted shade plants--he can have those spots but we'd have to throw down if he wanted full sun spots.

This reminds me of a time I sent my guy to Lowes to buy bark. This was when we lived in San Francisco and all I had were two small balconies FULL of plants. He said he wanted a plant, too, and I thought it was so cute so I said is find him the room to grow it if he wants to take care of it. (I can be kind of shortsighted once in awhile)

So I told him to pick one while he's at Lowes and I'd show him how to grow it. "We can repot it together!"

He came home with my many bags of bark. I asked if he got his plant and he said yes, it's in the car seat belted in...how cute, right? I couldn't wait to see it.

What did he bring home?

A god-%#£# Oleander....

He tells me he chose this one because it was cute, has flowers and didn't look like anything I already had. (duh.) I didn't have the heart to tell him he would have to move out if he wanted to grow this thing, so we repotted it and I begrudgingly moved my blueberry plant to give his god-%#£# Oleander space. I never asked but surely, he read the label? The thing would be enormous! Who buys a plant they don't know without reading the label!? Since he made no mention of its size, I made no mention of its size.

From that day on, he came out every evening to water it with a full cup of drinking water after dinner, and initially, I told him he didn't need to water it daily. He'd tell me he can FEEL the plant needs water and pours the cup of water in--and the thing wouldn't even rot! In fact, it looked bigger every day. If I did that in the middle of the evening every single night, things would mold, melt and combust.

Thankfully, within a few weeks he lost all interest so I could begin its demise. He would peek out every once in awhile and ask "How is my plant doing?" I'd tell him it's not good, he would tell me to water it and I said I would.

That thing took 5 months to die in the corner of my balcony in full shade (like, I opened the storage door to cover the atrocity altogether) without a single drop of water.

When I told him his plant died, he tells me, "I guess you can't grow every plant."

I agreed.

He's been talking lately about wanting a Venus Flytrap after watching some plant documentary...I can live with that. Much better than an Oleander. I mean.....he might as well have brought a Sycamore tree home!

• Paul MI
    8 years ago

With pruning the oleander might have remained manageable. I would have pushed him to continue taking care of his plant. Object lesson in caring for living things you adopt/buy. As it got large, you could then have pointed out what it said on the tag regarding size and introduced him to pruning shears. Who knows, might have gotten him into bonsai. :)

Jane, I too thought you had just planted unlabeled seedlings which could easily be mistaken for weeds. Yeah, the bare canes look is anything BUT attractive -- unless one is trying for the Adams Family garden. And having them at the front of the beds? *shakes head*

• birdsnblooms
    8 years ago

Hi Jane and Paul. Don't know if you remember me. I used to be Hopefulauthor until GW changed owners.

I'm not as 'obsessed' with plants as before. In fact, it's been about 2-years since purchasing indoor greens.

I remember ordering plants, 'via mail,' then sneaking them on a shelf before dh got home from work. lol

Clueless plant people ought not touch our plants..

A friend from GW recommended a fragrant 'outdoor' Azalea a couple years ago.

It was a little thing, but healthy. It's semi-slow grower, but finally flowered last summer. I've pointed it out to s/o a million times. This summer, s/o mowed it down to the ground.

I cannot repeat what I said to him after finding a 2" stub. lol

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Three years later, I was looking for an old photo of mine and fell upon this thread. Forgot all about it. But I'm still laughing over these stories!! HAHA!!

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Love that story!!!!Thanks for sharing...

My Mr. says in his booming voice 'You have too many, can't open the windows. Either get rid of the plants or get rid of the curtains'!??? what? after 35 yrs. together now he has a problem with my plants?