SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmzacker

Apple tree help/ saving a tall tree

cmzacker
8 years ago

We found an old apple tree in the woods in our back yard. the apples are small, about 1-1/2 " round maybe... anyhow the tree is really tall with no lower branches, it was surrounded by a lot of pricker bushes like Burning bush, wild rose and other thick vegetation... I cut it all back and the worst part was there was a pretty thick vine growing all the way up the tree, it was about 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" OD. I cut it at the ground to kill it then started cutting it in chunks to get it off the tree. once I get this vine totally off the tree it will be free of garbage that was killing it. then I have to chop down a couple other old trees that aren't apples, (I think they were maples) they are dead but covered in vines which are very much alive and blocking sun from hitting the apple down lower. if I do all this work, is there a chance some branches may sprout off the lower part of this tree? as it is now only the top has branches with fruit. its too high up to reach and to spray or fuss with. all the lower branches are dead. can I save it or should I just cut everything back, keep the tree and just let it do what its been doing for god knows how long? Probably feeding birds and squirrels.

Comments (8)