SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotty_karaokeguy

"Not something I feel comfortable answering in a text..." About to be

John Tunners
8 years ago

So I was told not to come in today because there weren't any appointments. There's been just this disconnect from management and others employees all around the animal hospital. I asked my manager, "Am I getting potentially fired Monday?" in a text and she said "That is not something I feel comfortable answering in a text."

So the writings on a wall. I'm buying a home at some point within the next year or so, saving up money, and I have a job in place that will start in three weeks.

So now the "fun" begins. I want to write a resignation letter. Keep it short and resign and enjoy the next few weeks while I work my second job (part time)? They may or probably will fire me Monday.

No collection of unemployment since I was not with them for 6 months.

So I'm not going to use this job on my resume for future references.

Is there really a difference in getting fired and resigning? Is there anything noted anywhere? Shall I give in my notice before they have a chance to have done it today or early Monday? Is there NO difference as far as what's written on paper or stored away somewhere? I've never been fired. Rather leave on my own terms.

Comments (13)

• User
    8 years ago

Unless you are concerned that this place will give you a bad reference, or you don't want to be associated with them, you should include them in your resume.

In today's world, there is no shame in saying you were fired from a job. Now, if you were let go for bad performance or stealing or whatever bad reason, you might consider resigning.

If you think you're going to be let go because they can't justify keeping your position, let them fire you.

It's a fine reason to be fired. People don't look down upon it.

Best of luck with this difficult time.

• User
    8 years ago

How many times are you going to ask the same question?

• TiffanyK
    8 years ago

is it a lay off or are you being fired for some kind of action. I think future employers would be not judgmental of a lay off, but might be when someone is "fired". Normally, when you hear that someone has been fired, there's a reason, i.e. the employee was negligent in their duties, etc.... so there's a possibility that the employee would be difficult to give direction to, or a risk.

• John Tunners
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a job in place, training starting soon and me starting in a few weeks. Also getting married and going on honeymoon. We live at home and are currently saving money and I work a second job as well, part time. I suppose I'll resign and best to just enjoy my wedding and honeymoon and not worry about much for three weeks and have a nice little break. I sure as hell wouldn't do this if I owned a home.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

If they fire you you MAY receive severance pay.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

If the writing is on the wall, and it sounds like it, you're not eligible for unemployment benefits or severance pay, I'd resign now. Keep it short and simple. That way you can easily explain to future employers that you took a job at a vet but realized that you'd rather return to your previous career. And no bad mouthing.
    http://career-advice.monster.com/in-the-office/leaving-a-job/resign-or-be-fired/article.aspx

• John Tunners
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agreed, there is no severance as I am only two months there, not 6.

• John Tunners
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Resigned.

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

One thing lenders and future employers pick up as a red flag is a span of time w/o work history.

• User
    8 years ago

Did you give two weeks notice? lol

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

There is "FIRED" because of what you did or didn't do, versus "Laid off because external factors" versus "pursuing your career elsewhere", versus "Take this job and shove it".

If you move from a job to another one in the same field, especially if you can get more pay, that's a GOOD thing.

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

There's a very big difference between being fired and being laid off. VERY big. Fired is bad (and typically means that you've done something egregious warranting it). Laid off isn't uncommon these days and there really isn't any stigma attached to it anymore.