SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
romeotybalt

HELP! Design advice needed ASAP!

romeotybalt
8 years ago

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of some help. We bought a great property around Portland, OR with a moldy, leaking, falling- down-around-us mobile home with the intentions of building a new home and tearing down the MM (“Mobile Mansion”-our attempt to make light of a bad situation). We hired a family friend who is a designer but only occasionally works from home as she left her field to be a stay-at-home mom. We had drawn out the PERFECT house plan for our family that she agreed to design since she said that while it was summer she could balance the design load with her full-time parenting. When we finished it was everything we could ever want! However, when we got our bid back we found out that we can’t afford our dream home without being beyond house poor. So now we are forced to find and design a new home within our budget. I recently took to the internet and found a few plans I liked, added my inspiration to them and in Paint I roughly designed a 1600-1700sq ft home (with the intentions of having an unfinished basement below for room to grow) that would be within our budget. I presented this to our designer but since school has started she isn't able to redesign a new house from start to finish. A total bummer but I understand completely as it’s a long process. So we’ve priced out a few design companies outside of our family friend but I can’t afford $125 an hour! It’s not that I don't think they deserve it but I really don't have the money!

So I'm at a loss..

Where should I go from here?

Dose anyone have a great link/web site to smaller house plans (under 1800 finished sq ft)?

Do you have any advice? Should I try to find another independent designer or go with a company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ive attached a photo of the new roughly drawn plan.

Comments (16)