SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treenoflane

Front Porch Curb Appeal

8 years ago

Suggestions for front Porch appeal? I'll be freshening up with white paint again in the spring on the exterior- the roof is new, so that green color won't change. It's difficult to see in the pictures but all windows have white metal awnings, each with hunter green stripes (darker than the roof green). I think these are pretty and old fashioned, although admittedly they could use some freshening up. The front porch and sidewalk are concrete, the front porch steps have peeling gray paint on them. The black blob on the left side of the porch is my mailbox. I plan on closing off the left front door (I have matching siding). I could take off the right screen door. So suggestions for front door color, railing, porch floor, steps, plantings, all welcome. Thanks, Kat

Comments (93)

• 8 years ago

depends on how much you want to spend. keeping it simple, i would remove the tree in front and beef up the two columns on the porch. i would then spend my money on flowering plants and a light colored rock border, about 2' high. i can't tell if the walkway needs repair, but if it does, i would install a creekrock walkway that matches the border and i would landscape around it. if you want to spend money, i would enlarge the porch all the way to the driveway and would come out far enough to really hang out there - gable roof.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I actually love the awnings AND please keep the rail as is, paint if needed (doesn't look like it does need it in the pic)... those two elements work with your house's style and it's CLASSIC. If you replace the rail with wood, no matter how nice it is, it will only end up looking like an added deck... and you don't want that in the front of your house.

So, keep your awnings fresh. ctrothman's advice is perfect... I'd only change the porch color to be a dark grey, in the same family as the touches of grey in your beautiful green roof. And do the porch ceiling a very pale sky blue or white. I would change the aluminum screen door to wood or metal and match the color to either the new porch color or the green trim.

Most important is the landscaping! ctrothman's and owm03's pix looks awesome. You don't even need a lot of plantings, just well placed ones.

Please post changes... beautiful house!

treenoflane thanked granky
  • Related Discussions

Help with re-design of split level front entry

Q

Comments (4)
    An architect would be a good idea. You may be able to extend the roofline from the upper story toward the front door, acting as a porch roof. Then build a wider porch, perhaps using the bricks you'll remove from the planter. An arborist can help with identifying the trees that would best be removed. Will this be your personal residence or will you be selling when finished with the remodel?
    ...See More

Need curb appeal and help creating a front porch

Q

Comments (12)
    The proposed addition would make your house very similar to houses around me from the 70s. Some homeowners have brought the entrances forward, or embraced the tunnel and added a gate (or done nothing). If it were me, I would go for a courtyard or atrium where the tunnel to your door is and add a killer gate on the front of the house. Some visualizations (I’m not saying these are necessarily good-looking homes, fyi). I’ve had this photo forever and I love what they did with the cedar around the windows. I’d paint your house white with the windows on the right side of your house trimmed in cedar and other cedar accents. I’d suggest getting an architect, but this is a great place to figure out what you like and what might be possible.
    ...See More

Landscaping at front porch - need to add curb appeal and hide pipes

Q

Comments (11)
    One could not know how to reshape the bed by looking at half of it, or seeing it at an angle from a distance. Return to where you took the first picture. Move in closer but where you can see the whole first floor of house and the lawn. (You'll be standing on the parkway or near edge of walk. OK to turn the camera to vertical format.) Take a panoramic picture by using that feature of the camera or by taking slightly overlapping pictures. Show every square in the of yard space that is between both drives. (We'll also be seeing your right neighbor's house in the background.) Normally, the clean-out pipes are cut off flush to the ground surface. I don't know if there's anything about your area that requires different, but that's the reason you don't see them elsewhere. Do all the yards there have these things sticking up like that?
    ...See More

How to add curb appeal and make closed in front porch less awkward?

Q

Comments (21)
    @Elaine Doremus Resumes Written Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately we were not able to find any images of the home from the past. I was hoping some folks on Houzz might be able to tell what style it originally was or at least give some good direction on how to we can restore it. For example I think the roof line may have originally gone straight back, instead of the second pitched section of the roof you can see on the left side. I apologize - I know I am not using the correct terminology! The home also has cheap vinyl replacement windows, so I would like to one day replace them. Maybe the anderson craftsman or farmhouse line? I wonder if we would change the scale of the windows at all...
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

pderr... you could get more help by starting your own Help Thread for your house... everyone would be happy to help... but, this is Treenoflane's thread.

• 8 years ago

No thread hijaking, please!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Shutters on small windows . Painted front door. Carry gable at front porch all the way to driveway add stone pilasters with tapered wood columns to create an Arts and Crafts look. Carriage house (stained )garage door. Lots of color in landscaping.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I like "Flair lighting" ideas. That's what I would do. Column on corner should be square, at least 8 X 8. Add plank type shutters in a dark black green. Take off Screen door and paint front door a deep dark red/rust tone. Paint porch ceiling a soft green in the same family as the shutters but much much lighter. Wood railing and corner post should be white like the house.

• 8 years ago

No shutters! I do like the idea of window boxes for color and interest, but then what do you do with them in the winter? Not crazy about the dated awnings but since you love them, they could be an opportunity to add color, but nothing dark or they will appear heavy... Be bold with your other accents, color-wise; all that white makes your darling house bland. What is the porch floor surface? Is it concrete? You could paint it a terra cotta color and then tear out that concrete walkway and replace it with brick or terra-cotta pavers. Even flagstone, but then you might want to paint the porch floor differently so as to relate it to the walkway. And maybe add plantings on either side of the walk... Taupe awnings, terracotta floor/walkway, hunter green front door, a fresh pale spring green porch ceiling, white wicker and potted plants... Or how about taupe porch floor and awnings, stone walkway, a geranium red front door, and a pale green ceiling?

treenoflane thanked maggierateye
  • 8 years ago

Lot of great suggestions! We had a similar style of home with yellow aluminum siding and gray porch floor and foundation. Silver aluminum storm windows. I used an aluminum primer and painted the windows white which made the yellow color pop. Then I painted the foundation and porch floor a tile red. I was so thankful that you had color choices for these items now as compared to when this era of house was built and gray was it. I mention the aluminum because you could paint the storm door if your budget isn't ready to splurge on a new door. The paint held up very well for years! Flower boxes.. I ordered self watering from Gardeners Supply and they are awesome. I fill them once a week (twice in really hot weather) There is a reservior in the bottom that fills and a bubble float that shows you when it's time to refill. They come with very sturdy bracket mounts. Good luck on your project. It's a cute house!

• 8 years ago
    I guess it depends on what amount of money you want to spend:) easy fix.. Remove the mailbox from the house, install something to your liking on right of porchsteps. Some easy to care for landscaping would be great. Enjoy what ever changes you make:)
    treenoflane thanked Kathy Jordan
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    biggest thing is remove the awnings and replace that iron stuff, it's just another bad remnant from the 70s, put on a nice square column, try going to chadsworth columns, more expensive but you only need 1 and the quality shows. then put in a nice wood rail, try and really keep the proportions in line, typically people today make posts and railings too scanty for the structure. I think you could add shutters but real shutters are expensive and the vinyl just doesn't look right, I think if you want to be more efficient and effective with the look of the house I would forgo shutters and instead remove the aluminum/vinyl siding and add a smaller wood clapboard and some fresh white paint, it's expensive but it would make a huge difference guaranteed
    treenoflane thanked Ferguson Shamamian Architects
  • 8 years ago

No!!! Don't replace the "iron stuff!" The worst mistake people make in renovating or "improving" their homes is to replace the elements that actually go WITH the home, with elements that may be very nice but do NOT go with the home. All it ends up looking like is that you hated your house and are trying to make it something it isn't.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    I think it only would make sense to keep the iron work if it did go with the home, and this is coming from someone who knows about historic preservation, here you're dealing with a home that is stuck in a sort of 20th century limbo, part dutch colonial, part....well whatever. either way the iron work isn't particularly special nor is it going to hold up, even looking at the picture now I can see it's deteriorating. this isn't about saving some Victorian millwork or preserving a style...I'm not even sure there is much of a style. this is about recognizing the first choices made when building the house may not have been the best and doing something to benefit the structure
  • 8 years ago

Yeah.... maybe ;-) I'd just hate to see a big white wooden deck put on it.

treenoflane thanked granky
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    no I see what you're saying, you don't want to make the house something it's not, but the porch clearly needs work anyway and I think this could be an opportunity for the owner to give this sort of home an identity without doing anything over the top. but I really do see where you're coming from
  • 8 years ago
    As long as your house is not too dark inside, I would keep the awnings. Maybe paint them to go with your roof. Please no shutters- they don't go with the style of your home, unless you make major changes. Yes, do go with a wider corner post for the porch. Not too wimpy thin and not too big. You may need some against the house in each corner for balance. Landscaping will make a big difference in the appearance too. Have fun, and it will look really cute when your done.
    treenoflane thanked Kate
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Without getting into a pretty major construction job by rebuilding the porch roof line, I would suggest four square or tapered columns ( one each close to the house, one at the corner, and the last at the top of the steps on the right side) and a really nice composite railing. I would stick with white for all of that. White doesn't follow trends and is timeless, and it also allows you to add color in more temporary ways that can complement season changes and holidays. The columns and railings alone will do wonders, but also new entry or storm doors and architectural moldings for around your entry would add weight.

Good luck! R. Rodgers

• PRO
    8 years ago

Adding comment!!

I am not a big fan of cultured stone due to it over use. It is EVERYWHERE and used on everything... So I think possibly a really nice textured stone coating for your concrete foundation wall Painted in a lighter shade to complement your door or shutters. I would stay light so it looks like part of your home and not that your home is sitting on a dark box.

Thank you... R. Rodgers

• 8 years ago
    what software is used to show these suggested plantings? I have been trying to find some to use for my house.
  • 8 years ago

I like the idea of window boxes and thought the shutters looked nice. Awnings will make the inside of the house so much darker and potentially obstruct some of the view. I am not a big fan of awnings even if period appropriate. But obviously some people are! I think the real change would come if you could change the windows. But that might not be in budget. I am a big fan of landscaping. And I just love all the ideas people share. This forum is amazing!

• 8 years ago

If you take a picture of your house to a garden center, they may be happy to help you pick plants in a variety of colors and textures; if not, it will help you visualize. Think about all seasons when you choose so you will have color and interest all through the year.

• 8 years ago

Paint all visible foundations a brown as well as steps add vibrant coloured planter pots in orange and yellows pinks and purple

• PRO
    8 years ago

I've winnowed through all of these ideas. Flat stone or slate overlay on the porch and steps is a must - did this at my place and the most expensive ingredient is patience. Keep the railings - white. Keep the awning - retrolicious. Do paint the window trim to match the roof. Do curvy landscaping with edging. White picket near the end of the walk is a MUST - include a modest arbor if you can make it happen. Do not paint the porch ceiling blue - do white. A porch swing would so fit this place. Wooden screen doors is a nice idea. Paint front door an orange red or black-green. Cutesy pie house numbers a must. Don't do flower boxes - trust me that you will not keep them watered and thing will die and when they are empty in Winter I find them depressing. Please, no hanging baskets.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    How can we add curb appeal?
  • 8 years ago

For starters, cottoncandee_crush, you can go create your own help page... this one belongs to Treenoflane. Thank you.

• 8 years ago

I like what awm & ctrothman said. Keep the iron! It does hold up. Good luck!

treenoflane thanked gr8lakes13
  • 8 years ago

What you do may depend on how much money you want to spend and what kind of setback restrictions you may have. I would turn both those doors into French doors and put retractable screens on them and add a porch to the front of the house creating a wrap around. I'd paint the house a light grey and take that roof green and add shutters to all the windows and doors in that color. I'd get rid of that metal rail altogether replacing it with a wood railing or a PVC one. I'd cover the concrete with PVC decking. Porches get a high return in valuation on your home value; more than kitchens or bathrooms.

• 8 years ago

what awm said and paint foundation porch floor and steps a shade lighter green than your door/window trim color. wrought iron is too "thin". Beefy wood railings and post at corner with square spindles will balance weight of house visually. Yes to white porch swing and white ceiling on porch. New storm door in white( I'd go basic lines) and paint the interior door a bold hue that not only is complimentary to the green trim but will be a color that does not clash with flower colors that you prefer. landscaping: add some height in planting at both front corners as well as trellis with flowering vine (clematis) between the windows in front. Easily maintainable flowering shrubs are a good choice and can bring color for more than one season. Old roses between steps and corner. either fill in with perennials or leave some space for annuals. Paint the mailbox white with a green stripe like the awnings and house numbers same colour as interior door on an angle beside door, that style matches house. Add an umbrella holder or basket or planter beside door and a small table far enough from the swing to not get knocked over but close enough to set your lemonade. :) sisal rug on porch, and a light that is period correct or a replica that is similar. Will love to see your choices. good luck.

treenoflane thanked layne66
  • 8 years ago
    guess I'm different.I'd paint the two walls of the porch. color is your choice but a soft tangerine comes to mind. paint the door white.
  • 8 years ago

Paint black railings white. Add column to corner. Hanging baskets from roof under porch. Brick or paver over steps. Remove awnings. Window boxes use inserts for easy switch out. . Drill large hole in bottom of boxes to allow for drainage. Add curves to foundation planting flower bed. Widen path to porch by adding planted border. Arbor at entrance by mailbox. Incorporate flower bed around mailbox with vine on arbor. Plenty of mulch or pine straw to help with moisture retention and weeds.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I love what both awm and flair lighting suggested for the first house. Run don't walk to make those great ideas come to life.

• 8 years ago

STRAWBERRY FROG... you should go start your own thread for help... you are hijacking someone else's. This thread belongs to treenoflane, it is for helping with her project, not yours. Everyone will eb very happy to help you, too, but you must start your own thread. Thanks.

• PRO
    8 years ago

any decisions yet?

• 8 years ago

lol, you should see the flowcharts & grids I have based on all these wonderful suggestions. It's exciting to have so many ideas to consider. For certain I'll be leaving the awnings and I love the Southern custom of painting the ceiling haint blue. Other than that, nothings for certain. I'm loving the landscaping suggestions, never even thought about the posts and trim color and steps, and arbor and fairy roses and porch swings-Wow!

:- )

• 8 years ago

I worked as a guide at a home built in 1873 with soft blue ceilings on the wrap around porch. I was told they did this to keep the birds from building nests on the porches. They would think it was sky and their nests would get wet so it wasn't a good spot. The house was very victorian with the ornate woodwork on the posts. Never once did I see a bird nest or a bee/wasp nest. So maybe it's true. Old wives tale.. not sure but it seemed to be true.

• 8 years ago

I'll chime in. I would go visit the local botanical garden. My next suggestion involves doing some research to find out about the previous owners and what they grew. Old House Gardens is a great source for heirloom bulbs. I love old house that have period gardens.

Antique Rose Emporium.com is good choice for hardy roses.

• 8 years ago

You have a lot of great ideas here already. My only additional thought is all the green trim added in the photos. With the green roof I think that is all the green that you need. Any trim and the porch should be painted a color that compliments the green roof. I don't think you want to call attention to the porch so do it in a neutral color like a deep grey or charcoal. Then make the door pop with a deep dark red. If you paint the ceiling pale sky blue make sure it has green in it. More or an aqua. Cool and relaxing. You like your awnings and are keeping them so my suggestion is to keep then as is and not paint them. The white blends in with the house and doesn't call attention to them. Let the landscaping and front door be the focal points and give you the biggest bang for your bucks.

• 8 years ago

Just looked at your picture again and actually it's the front steps that are the problem with the porch. Forget the charcoal and paint them to match the foundation and porch. Have you tried to power wash them to get the pain off?

• 8 years ago

For the porch, remove the mailbox and replace it with a conventional wall mount mail box, remove the 2 small wrought iron "corbels", replace the current storm doors with full view storm doors, remove the hanging house number and replace it it something a bit more substantial on the house next to the front door. And finally, replace or clad the current wrought iron post with a wooden or composite square post.

Unsolicited advice for the remainder of the exterior, instead of white, consider a creamy color of some sort for the siding and paint the trim white. Paint the foundation and steps a darker green. Finally, a bit of strategic landscaping would help.

I believe the retouched photo reveals a result that is respectful to the unadorned "farmhouse" nature of the structure while adding a bit of visual interest and refinement.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Some nice landscaping would help cover the foundation of the house and the porch and help ground the house. You don't see awnings on houses these days but if you are going to keep them why not accentuate them with a new paint color. Totally agree with others in the forum. Replacing the porch railing column with an actual column would make a big impact. Personally I love a bright cheery color for a front door.

• 8 years ago

That's perfect tralexan. See what a difference it makes to have the steps the same color. And the larger square post adds weight and balance to that side of the house. I think a white house looks great with white trim. What your house is missing is detail and landscaping. The heavy post will help and maybe add simple corbels to the post and porch roof above the stairs to mimic the shape of the second story roof. see attached picture. If you want to take that further add white wood railings. You can do a search on Houzz for Dutch Colonial for more ideas.

Lovely Renovations · More Info

• 8 years ago

Maybe more color.

• 8 years ago

And a bit of mixed rock, shrub and flower garden.

• 8 years ago

The September 30 post of ctrothman is the best idea for the house. I, too, like the awnings and believe adding shutters would add to the curb appeal. You might also paint the horizontal board above the porch below the soffit and the boards that form the vertical corner of the house left of the porch. You might also consider using the same green paint color for the storm/screen door frame as for the awnings and shutters.

One note: Plants you add should always suit BOTH your taste and your willingness to do the maintenance required to keep them looking good. Take care to not plant something that will cost you the price of professional care to keep it looking good.

• 8 years ago
    Two thumbs up for Tralexan's suggestions and photo. Just add some of the landscaping ideas and it will be great!
  • 8 years ago

I would suggest you paint the foundation of the house and the risers and sides of the steps white to match the siding. Then, I would suggest you paint the porch floor and treads of the steps a green that harmonizes with the roofing shingles. I would suggest an even lighter green for the porch ceiling. Your windows are nice and fairly symmetrical, so I would suggest you remove the awnings and add shutters that are a slightly darker or brighter green than the shade you choose for the porch floor. Nothing sets off a green and white color scheme like red in the landscaping. You might add fire bushes for red color in the fall, evergreen holly for red berries in the winter, and red potted geraniums, petunias, monarda, and keys of heaven for red color in the spring and summer. If there is room in the yard, you might add crimson king maple trees, purple leaf plum trees, and purple-leaf sand cherry shrubs. Carolina allspice that blooms cranberry-colored flowers most of the summer and fall also could be a good choice for a shrub.

• 8 years ago

After looking at the pictures again, I would suggest you paint the porch rail black, keep the black mailbox, and consider painting the corbels black. You might add black wrought iron window boxes that would harmonize with the porch rail. If you do not need the left door that opens onto the porch, you might replace it with a window and shutters. I notice the window to the right of the door is lower than the top of the door, so you might consider adding a transom window to make the top of the window even with the top of the door.

• 8 years ago

If you keep the leftvdoor and remove the door facing the street you would create a porch area and have for a small table and chairs.

• 8 years ago

I added shutters, house numbers, mailbox and some slight color modifications to a previously submitted photo. I am not a fan of the shutters with awnings. After all, it kills the illusion. How would shutters close with awnings in the way? It's a bit of a paradox that adds some visual interest. The point, in this instance, is to pit logic against aesthetic and decide what wins. Here's the original pic . . .

and the newly edited version . . .

Hopefully, the comparison will help, not hinder, the decision making process.