SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jungleexplorer

Can I use plants to keep insects out out of my greenhouse?

This is my first year to try organic vegetable gardening in a greenhouse (GH). It has not been a complete disaster, but it has hardly been what I would call successful. There have been many problems, but just when I thought I was getting it all figured out, here come the ants, the aphids and then blister beetles. Totally wiped out my squash and melons and hurt my tomatoes, okra, peppers and greens. I tried blasting the aphids off with water, but they just cam back thicker. Neem oil worked but the aphids would come right back in force in a couple days.

Anyway, there is one plant that has weathered everything totally unscathed; a sweet basil plant. It has flourished beyond all believabilty. It is about 4 feet tall. We have collected so many leaves off it that we have about a gallon of dehydrated powder. No bug has ever touched it.

It is obvious that insects do not like basil. My question is, since bugs don't like it and won't touch it, can it be used to control bugs in my GH. On a hot day when I walk into my GH (40 feet by 20 feet) I can smell the basil. I was wondering if I planted enough of the basil throughout my GH, if it would act like sort of a natural deterrent to insects? Of course there may be other plants that can do this as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz