SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Talk me into or out of planting this...I can't make up my mind

mxk3 z5b_MI
15 years ago

I bought a John Davis Explorer rose (perfectly hardy up here and vigorous) with the intention of training up the chimney.

Problem is, I have to rig a set-up (have to drill holes in the brick, put in anchors/screw hooks, string wire). And right now I just don't feel like it, to be honest.

Another problem is that in order for this rose to thrive where I put it I will have to remember to water it often, the soil is on the drier side in this locale. Which is a problem because it's on the side of the house I don't frequent often and can't see it out the window, and I know myself and know I'm going to forget. I have other plants in the area that perform beautifully (zebra grass, lavendar, catmint, sedum), so no big deal if I don't water often (which I don't).

On the other hand, this is a big, wide, white chimney and would look fantastic with a vigorous climbing rose trained up it - it has the potential to be one of those "knock your socks off" displays, and this locale is seemingly begging for a climber.

So, what would you do? I honestly can't decide, I keep flip-flopping.

Comments (6)